Archaeologists do it in holes: Tales from the stratigraphy

Started by Maladict, May 27, 2016, 02:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Apparently Geoffrey of Monmouth and Stonehenge was "brought to England."

Recent research suggests that Stonehenge may have been built and stood in Wales for 400 years before someone moved the whole thing some 140 miles to England.

I guess the habit of looting monuments has a long history in Britain.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/12/dramatic-discovery-links-stonehenge-to-its-original-site-in-wales

jimmy olsen

Seems a bit over the top  :hmm:

QuoteWent antiquing today and found what I thought were some cute letters but turns out
https://twitter.com/fineanddanya/status/1365763983244996612

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Why don't people write letters anymore? I think we've lost something as a civilization.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

It is nice when you are out there doing your bit for the air force to know your girlfriend is getting plenty of threesomes back home.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on March 02, 2021, 03:33:03 PM
It is nice when you are out there doing your bit for the air force to know your girlfriend is getting plenty of threesomes back home.
:lol:

I'd like these included in the next Ken Burns documentary.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

I'd like Morgan Freeman to read that letter with Ashokan Farewell playing in the background.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

That page was found by itself, it was not necessarily connected to Charles.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 02, 2021, 07:05:14 PM

Then why did you mislead me by posting them together? Here I had this whole story about a love boyfriend just happy his significant other was well taken care of and loved while he was away in my mind and then you snatch it away.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 02, 2021, 07:11:10 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 02, 2021, 07:05:14 PM

Then why did you mislead me by posting them together? Here I had this whole story about a love boyfriend just happy his significant other was well taken care of and loved while he was away in my mind and then you snatch it away.
That's how it was in the original tweet.
The page came out of that stack.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 03, 2021, 04:16:14 AM
That's how it was in the original tweet.
The page came out of that stack.

Ok look clearly I did not bring the adequate serious scholarly attitude to this subject that you wanted. I apologize.

viper37

A society in Spain, 4000 years ago, that may have been governed by women.
Link

A society that existed over 4,000 years ago, in modern-day Spain, may have been governed by women.

A woman who was adorned with a silver crown and buried with other jewelry in the early Bronze age settlement, challenges the view that men exclusively exercised state power, archeologists say, in a new study published this week in the journal Antiquity .

"The La Almoloya discoveries have revealed unexpected political dimensions of the highly stratified El Argar society, showing features that are unique in the contemporaneous Western Mediterranean and continental Europe," the study authors write.

The remains were uncovered at the La Almoloya site, on the south-east side of the Iberian peninsula, which served as a hub of the El Argar society, one of the first civilizations in the region to forge bronze, build urban centres and erect palaces.

[...]
edit:
A better text on the subject
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Hasn't this been a long standing theory on pre indo European people?
Albeit mostly in the north.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on March 13, 2021, 07:26:25 AM
Hasn't this been a long standing theory on pre indo European people?
Albeit mostly in the north.
That was the first thing that popped into my head as well

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Yeah and if we dug up Athens without knowing anything else about it and found the Parthenon with the huge statue of Athena in it we might also think ancient Athens had progressive social values.

Though I also thought women ruling in these societies was the orthodoxy, not a challenge to it. I just wish we could find some writings by these cultures and learn more.

Valmy

I would be interested if it was kind of like Sparta where rich women were the power behind the leaders. Or like the Iroquois where women appointed all the men in charge. Or something different...or if we have that totally wrong like we might with feminist Athens.