Neanderthal Thread: Cave fires & rhino skull used in Neanderthal burial rituals

Started by jimmy olsen, May 25, 2016, 11:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2016, 06:31:20 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2016, 09:51:48 AM
Of course the real irony of Brain's comment is that Scandinavians likely have among the highest percentages of Neanderthal ancestry of all modern humans.

Actually, East Asians have slightly more Neanderthal DNA than Europeans.

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/reviews/neandertals/neandertal-dna/neandertal-sex-acts-beyond-counting-2016.html
QuoteWe have a fairly clear idea of what fraction of the ancestry of today's people came from Neandertals; this fraction was around about 2% for most people worldwide, a bit more for many of the populations of East Asia, and very little for most populations of sub-Saharan Africa today. Vernot and colleagues' new paper (Science 10.1126/science.aad9416) helps to confirm that the elevation of Neandertal genetic similarity among East Asian populations is the result of additional mixture that does not characterize the ancestry of today's western Eurasian populations.

There were always neanderthals in Eastasia.

Maladict

We have some failed archaeologists here, we should have a megathread  :hmm:

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 25, 2016, 11:45:05 PM
Yet more evidence that Neanderthal were not cognitively inferior to Homo Sapiens.
Between being "not as dumb as we tought" and "not cognitively inferion to hs", there's a huge margin, don't you think?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2016, 09:48:57 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2016, 02:06:51 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2016, 01:07:58 AM
"Throg build fire! Throg smash stalagmite! Or is it stalactite? Throg can never remember! Anyway, Throg pile!"

Yeah not cognitively inferior at all. It's fucking Hagia Sophia is what it is.

Comparing them to the Byzantine Empire is rather unfair don't you think?

Yes - the article suggests the Neanderthals may have been quite culturally sophisticated.  They should not be insulted by comparison to the ridiculous and decadent Byzantines.

Them's fighting words Minsky. :mad:

#ByzantoFourtysomething
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on May 27, 2016, 10:00:38 AM
Yet more evidence that Neanderthal were not cognitively inferior to Homo Sapiens.
Between being "not as dumb as we tought" and "not cognitively inferion to hs", there's a huge margin, don't you think?

There's no evidence that the H. sapiens of the time where any more advanced.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 28, 2016, 01:00:31 AM

There arent any Neanderthals around, so ...........
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on May 27, 2016, 10:36:09 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2016, 09:48:57 AM
Yes - the article suggests the Neanderthals may have been quite culturally sophisticated.  They should not be insulted by comparison to the ridiculous and decadent Byzantines.

Them's fighting words Minsky. :mad:

#ByzantoFourtysomething

:secret: Jews hate the Byzantine Empire.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

viper37

they arrived later.  Look at what they did in the same time frame as the Neanderthals.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on May 28, 2016, 02:23:27 AM

There arent any Neanderthals around, so ...........

They could have gone extinct for numerous reasons aside from intelligence.

And they're not really extinct since their genetic lineage lives on in ours.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

That like saying the dinosaurs are extinct because their lineage lives on in chickens :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on May 29, 2016, 08:44:39 AM
That like saying the dinosaurs are [not]extinct because their lineage lives on in chickens :unsure:
I assume you meant to write not extinct above?

Yes, since birds are dinosaurs, saying dinosaurs are not extinct is completely correct.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

More specatacular Neanerthal finds! As a fan of archaeology, what a time to be alive! :w00t:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23230934-800-cave-fires-and-rhino-skull-used-in-neanderthal-burial-rituals/

This Week
28 September 2016

Cave fires and rhino skull used in Neanderthal burial rituals

By Richard Gray

BURNING through the darkness, the fires would have lit up the cave around where the young child lay.

The remains of a series of small fires discovered within a dolomite hillside 93 kilometres north of Madrid, Spain, could be the first firm evidence that Neanderthals held funerals.

The blackened hearths surround a spot where the jaw and six teeth of a Neanderthal toddler were found in the stony sediment. Puzzlingly, within each of these hearths was the horn or antler of a herbivore, apparently carefully placed there. In total, there were 30 horns from aurochs and bison as well as red deer antlers, and a rhino skull nearby.

Archaeologists believe the fires may have been lit as some sort of funeral ritual around where the toddler, known as the Lozoya Child, was placed around 38,000 to 42,000 years ago.

Enrique Baquedano, director of the Regional Archaeological Museum of Madrid, and his colleagues described the discoveries at the meeting of the European Society for the study of Human Evolution in Madrid on 16 September. They think the cave may have been used by Neanderthals as a specific place to mourn and remember the dead.

Baquedano said the position of the remains and stone tools found at the site, known as Des-Cubierta Cave, do not appear to be arranged as we would expect if it had been a dwelling. "They may therefore have been of ritual or symbolic significance."

Chris Stringer of the Natural History Museum in London said there have been previous suggestions that Neanderthals may have dug graves for their dead and some graves of babies at sites in Syria and Israel include the remains of animal horns – but the new discovery seems far more deliberate.

"It's certainly difficult to explain the presence of the horns, and that of a rhino skull, without invoking the agency of Neanderthals," he said.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maladict on May 27, 2016, 02:26:50 AM

Good thing they have the law and teaching English to fall back on
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 10, 2016, 12:00:55 AM
Quote from: Maladict on May 27, 2016, 02:26:50 AM

Good thing they have the law and teaching English to fall back on

I forgot about that thread.  :blush:

I just did a quick search for Neanderthals and found this thread.

1 Karma Chameleon point