Neanderthal Thread: Cave fires & rhino skull used in Neanderthal burial rituals

Started by jimmy olsen, May 25, 2016, 11:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 26, 2016, 12:49:01 PM
Do Neanderthals get their own bathrooms?

Only the Neanderthals in North Carolina.

Apparently, they make up a large block of voters there.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2016, 09:48:57 AM
They should not be insulted by comparison to the ridiculous and decadent Byzantines.

The Neanderthals smashed stalagmites, the Byzantines smashed icons. The Stalagmitoclasts they were called.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2016, 01:19:29 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2016, 09:48:57 AM
They should not be insulted by comparison to the ridiculous and decadent Byzantines.

The Neanderthals smashed stalagmites, the Byzantines smashed icons. The Stalagmitoclasts they were called.

In response, their leader was later nicknamed "Throg Coprolitenymus" by the Stalagmitdules.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2016, 01:07:58 AM
"Throg build fire! Throg smash stalagmite! Or is it stalactite? Throg can never remember! Anyway, Throg pile!"

Yeah not cognitively inferior at all. It's fucking Hagia Sophia is what it is.

Neanderthal's get no respect. They are like the Mexicans of the Homo genus.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

lustindarkness

Quote from: 11B4V on May 26, 2016, 01:51:16 PM
"Throg build fire! Throg smash stalagmite! Or is it stalactite? Throg can never remember! Anyway, Throg pile!"

Now now, no need for insults, Neanderthals are not that bad.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 26, 2016, 01:55:55 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 26, 2016, 01:51:16 PM

Now now, no need for insults, Neanderthals are not that bad.

For one, there were no sunglasses to tempt them.

Razgovory

I'm a bit skeptical.  If this is true, then Neanderthals had behavioral modernity over 100,000 years before modern humans.  If that was true, why didn't Neanderthals spread across the globe and out compete homo sapiens?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on May 26, 2016, 02:17:29 PM
I'm a bit skeptical.  If this is true, then Neanderthals had behavioral modernity over 100,000 years before modern humans.  If that was true, why didn't Neanderthals spread across the globe and out compete homo sapiens?

WC isn't the only way to play.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2016, 09:51:48 AM
Of course the real irony of Brain's comment is that Scandinavians likely have among the highest percentages of Neanderthal ancestry of all modern humans.

Actually, East Asians have slightly more Neanderthal DNA than Europeans.

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/reviews/neandertals/neandertal-dna/neandertal-sex-acts-beyond-counting-2016.html
QuoteWe have a fairly clear idea of what fraction of the ancestry of today's people came from Neandertals; this fraction was around about 2% for most people worldwide, a bit more for many of the populations of East Asia, and very little for most populations of sub-Saharan Africa today. Vernot and colleagues' new paper (Science 10.1126/science.aad9416) helps to confirm that the elevation of Neandertal genetic similarity among East Asian populations is the result of additional mixture that does not characterize the ancestry of today's western Eurasian populations.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2016, 06:31:20 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2016, 09:51:48 AM
Of course the real irony of Brain's comment is that Scandinavians likely have among the highest percentages of Neanderthal ancestry of all modern humans.

Actually, East Asians have slightly more Neanderthal DNA than Europeans.

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/reviews/neandertals/neandertal-dna/neandertal-sex-acts-beyond-counting-2016.html
QuoteWe have a fairly clear idea of what fraction of the ancestry of today's people came from Neandertals; this fraction was around about 2% for most people worldwide, a bit more for many of the populations of East Asia, and very little for most populations of sub-Saharan Africa today. Vernot and colleagues' new paper (Science 10.1126/science.aad9416) helps to confirm that the elevation of Neandertal genetic similarity among East Asian populations is the result of additional mixture that does not characterize the ancestry of today's western Eurasian populations.

Always knew something was off with them.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!