And we're back!

Main Menu

Weekend Work Emails Are Now Illegal In France

Started by jimmy olsen, May 25, 2016, 09:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2016, 11:15:48 AM
Sorry but my google translate quota has been reached for the day.

Do you really need a translator to pick up on what 'forum' 'insulter' or 'monsieur' mean? Please.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on May 26, 2016, 09:09:04 AM
Would it stop clients from calling me at 6:00am?

Yeah that was my thought as well - I would imagine that in most jobs where you are expected to receive emails over the weekend, the people emailing you are very rarely your bosses - and more likely your colleagues and clients.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on May 26, 2016, 08:18:13 AM
I'd rather deal with it over the weekend than have it waiting for me Monday morning.  And if it can wait for Monday I'll ignore it.

Yeah. Apparently the French government does not think French people are capable of making that judgement call on their own.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2016, 11:52:27 AM

Do you really need a translator to pick up on what 'forum' 'insulter' or 'monsieur' mean? Please.

Hardly seems a complete thought.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on May 26, 2016, 09:50:58 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2016, 01:04:20 AM
France is weird. I suppose people who have jobs that don't actually matter don't want e-mails from their bosses, and those might well be in the majority in France, but still...

I didn't know swedes or wherever the fuck you're from work 7 days a week.

When we have to we do. Obviously. :huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2016, 12:12:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2016, 11:52:27 AM

Hardly seems a complete thought.

He said the goal was to give you something like what you write on the forums rather than insult you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I am struggling to decide who I'd rather see lose in an online fight - garbon or Zoupa. I think Zoupa, marginally, is more douchebaggy.  :P

Sheilbh

I swear this was a story before? I have a feeling this is something that gets covered every few years and isn't necessarily that true.

I'm all for it. Given that technology enables the encroachment of work into your private/social life and employers will always encourage that, there should be rules. I'd be tempted to go further personally.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Technology also allows the encroachment of your personal life into work. As the existence of this forum proves. :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on May 26, 2016, 05:05:11 PM
Technology also allows the encroachment of your personal life into work. As the existence of this forum proves. :P
I've no issue with companies aggressively monitoring your internet (you personally!) and punishing  :menace:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Most very highly paid jobs involve a massive time commitment.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Sheilbh

Sure. But it's not just the very highly paid who are now expected to have their phone on at all times and be answering emails.

That's the issue is that this started as something for the top who arguably maybe do need to be available at weekends. It spread from there. Similarly I know lots of people who'd breach their employment contracts if they turned their phone off, but it's not generally something you're being told by your boss as Marti says. It's become a cultural thing.

If we don't stop it'll go the way of liquid lunches, actual lunches, evening plans, holidays and all the rest. Our weekend's will become Pret sandwiches wolfed at the desk.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

You know lots of people making middling salaries who have to be available 24/7?