Israel defence minister quits and blames Netanyahu of fanning extremism

Started by garbon, May 20, 2016, 09:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on May 20, 2016, 11:04:10 AM
There is no doubt that the Bibi government is dreadful and getting worse. It seems that right-wing authoritarianism is getting more popular in all sorts of countries.  :(

Not to defend Bibi, but really all he did was a political manouever to strenghten his coalition. Not highly unusual, or evil.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

Quote from: Josephus on May 20, 2016, 05:44:37 PM
There is no doubt that the Bibi government is dreadful and getting worse. It seems that right-wing authoritarianism is getting more popular in all sorts of countries.  :(

Not to defend Bibi, but really all he did was a political manouever to strenghten his coalition. Not highly unusual, or evil.

If there is anything in politics that could be considered "evil" short of genocide or something like that, making common cause with someone who you know or think will bring harm to your country for political expediency surely qualifies.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on May 20, 2016, 05:44:37 PM

I do think his government is getting worse, and that this maneuver makes it just that much worse than it was before. It's a very discouraging process.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on May 20, 2016, 01:56:32 PM
My :rolleyes: was directed at DG's general "anyone who disagrees with me is not just wrong, but stupid" attitude, but I think you're right.
:rolleyes: Conservative reaction is often driven by fear.  Fear rarely leads to either correct or intelligent solutions.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

AnchorClanker

Likud devoured by the loonies.  News at 11.
GOP devoured by the loonies.  Much of a muchness.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."