News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Einigkeit und Sigmar und Griffins

Started by Valmy, May 23, 2016, 12:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

So here is where the glorious new Emperor Mayor of Altdorf Karl-Franz Holswig Schliestein launches his campaign to unite the Empire, crush the Greenskins, banish the Vampire Counts, and um...unChaos Chaos heretics.

I have downloaded the game and will be playing at a hard difficulty (max?) and I have not played one of these games in years so it should be fun. I cannot start until Wednesday though :weep:

First episode by Friday: Valmy takes on the secessionist scourge infecting Reikland.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

So I loaded it up real fast this morning. It seems the Empire municipality of Altdorf is one of the harder races and the Dwarves are the easy types. Huh. I guess I always figured the Dwarves were always on the edge of annihilation. If you are a real masochist you will start as a Chaos horde, I presume because you will get constantly attacked by other Chaos hordes.

Things start so bad for Karl-Franz that we march right from his coronation to the walls of Altdorf to repel a Greenskin invasion. Rough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Oh shit, I was so into stellaris I  didn't realize this was out yet.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Had to jump on a VPN to download this. <_<

Not sure if it'll even work on this computer. Might have to went for February when I get a new laptop. Well, at least it'll be patched up by then if so, and I'll be able to play with ultra high end graphics.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

So I loaded up on Very Hard and was winning the battles but doing alright but then all my cities were rebelling and there was little I could do about it (well besides beat up rebels)...which reminded me why I didn't like Total War: Rome much. And I couldn't even dump soldiers into the garrisons like before. So I just decided to start over again on Normal just so I wouldn't have to put up with that shit as much. I am not playing a freaking Warhammer game to go around fighting my own faction every five minutes.

Tamas

When was the last time you played a total war game? :P You can't add to garrisons but if you park an army it will decrease unrest based on its size.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on May 25, 2016, 08:26:58 AM
When was the last time you played a total war game? :P You can't add to garrisons but if you park an army it will decrease unrest based on its size.

Rome...the first one :P

Yes I figured that out but Lords are way too expensive upkeep wise to have them sitting in Altdorf trying to decrease its unrest. The fact it took a huge penalty every time Karl-Franz was victorious also seemed counter-intuitive :P

Tamas

Ok so an other important thing you don't know then: happiness is per province, NOT city. So if you build something in a city, that raises happiness for the whole province, same goes for armies garrissoned.

The biggest penalty comes after being conquered so a) don't pillage unless the money is really sweet b) park your main army for a few turns if needed so the initial penalty goes away.
And remove taxation from the province.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on May 25, 2016, 08:35:17 AM
The biggest penalty comes after being conquered so a) don't pillage unless the money is really sweet b) park your main army for a few turns if needed so the initial penalty goes away.
And remove taxation from the province.

Yes which was perverse since once the Empire beat the secessionists the loyal parts would get super pissed. Hence me winning and everybody tiresomely rising up in revolt.

I am glad I will not have this problem once I leave Reikland. Oh...huh...how do I adjust taxation :hmm:

Tamas

there is a checkbox on the province summary at the bottom left when you have a city selected, IIRC.

And the key is not letting it boil over to revolts, in my experience. It is a mechanic to force you to pace your conquests.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on May 25, 2016, 08:40:29 AM
there is a checkbox on the province summary at the bottom left when you have a city selected, IIRC.

And the key is not letting it boil over to revolts, in my experience. It is a mechanic to force you to pace your conquests.

And that is fine, but the huge unrest penalty just for existing on Very Hard was pissing me off, it was larger than all my bonuses all by itself. So I will just play Normal for this playthrough at least, the battles seemed just as hard as before. I promise no Timmay-esque save scrumming.

I fucked up my formation and needed my mage, Karl-Franz, and the Reiksguard to save the day in a huge battle against two large Secessionist armies. Of course I fucked it up in the battle I was heavily outnumbered. My mage blasted like 200 dudes all by himself and everybody almost died. Good times.

Tamas

I usually play Normal, sometimes Hard. I haven't found a super-easy exploit to defeat the tactical AI regardless of numerical inferiority like in Rome 1 days so I am have had enough one with battles on Normal/Hard depending on the faction.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on May 25, 2016, 08:47:05 AM
I usually play Normal, sometimes Hard. I haven't found a super-easy exploit to defeat the tactical AI regardless of numerical inferiority like in Rome 1 days so I am have had enough one with battles on Normal/Hard depending on the faction.

I noticed no siege battles in Warhammer which is probably just as well. It was too easy to whip huge AI armies with small garrisons I recall. But it does mean you get to grind up small garrisons in the open, unless you have a really shitty force there is no reason to actually siege a city.