News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Green Energy Revolution Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, May 19, 2016, 10:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on July 19, 2016, 01:22:14 AM
  There were too many vested interests, so they wouldn't touch it. The technology for renewables and nuclear were in the hands of foreigners.  They wanted energy self-reliance, and China was the world's largest producer of coal.  There was scope to burn coal more efficiently, and that would be their focus.  Not replacing coal with solar.

This is such a ridiculously huge lie that even Gobbels would pause at it. China is far and away the world's largest producer of solar panels.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

China just needs to create more green jobs.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2016, 10:10:15 AM
China just needs to create more green jobs.

The South China Sea problem will be solved!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 19, 2016, 10:07:16 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 19, 2016, 01:22:14 AM
  There were too many vested interests, so they wouldn't touch it. The technology for renewables and nuclear were in the hands of foreigners.  They wanted energy self-reliance, and China was the world's largest producer of coal.  There was scope to burn coal more efficiently, and that would be their focus.  Not replacing coal with solar.

This is such a ridiculously huge lie that even Gobbels would pause at it. China is far and away the world's largest producer of solar panels.

As I said that's what I heard from the Man.  I do wonder if producing solar panels and setting up farms and other infrastructure is the same thing.  Just like the largest producer of car frames isn't necessarily the largest producer of manufactured cars. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on July 19, 2016, 09:54:38 AM

Well steam power was invented by foreigners to better not use that technology! Is China going to destroy all its computers and cars as well! We want transportation and data self reliance! We will be the world's largest producer of ox carts and scribes!

It makes sense in the case of nuclear technology.  China can build a coal plant by itself, but it still partially relies on foreign firms in constructing nuclear plants.  China usually cooperates with the French on this.  Part of the reason is political.  Foreign involvement makes the plant an easier sell to the nearby population. 

Monoriu

Also, I am repeating myself here but I don't think the ox cart/steam power analogy works.  As a consumer, I clearly want to drive a car, not an ox cart.  But I can't care less if my electricity comes from a coal plant or a solar farm. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on July 19, 2016, 10:24:16 AM
Also, I am repeating myself here but I don't think the ox cart/steam power analogy works.  As a consumer, I clearly want to drive a car, not an ox cart.  But I can't care less if my electricity comes from a coal plant or a solar farm. 

You will if the coal plant is more expensive and less efficient.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Given the air quality in China I find that hard to believe.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 19, 2016, 10:29:28 AM

Given the air quality in China I find that hard to believe.

Why?  The thing with air quality is that making one small change won't make any material difference.  Just because I walk to my office instead of driving a car won't improve the quality of the air that I breathe in.  Change on a much larger scale is needed.  Since that's not something I can achieve on my own, might as well give up. 

frunk

Quote from: Monoriu on July 19, 2016, 10:32:46 AM

Why?  The thing with air quality is that making one small change won't make any material difference.  Just because I walk to my office instead of driving a car won't improve the quality of the air that I breath in.  Change on a much larger scale is needed.  Since that's not something I can achieve on my own, might as well give up.

I'm starting to think that either people completely forget what you write within a day or two, or that somehow they've presented the information in a way that will cause you to have a sudden revelation.

Monoriu

Quote from: frunk on July 19, 2016, 10:38:14 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 19, 2016, 10:32:46 AM

Why?  The thing with air quality is that making one small change won't make any material difference.  Just because I walk to my office instead of driving a car won't improve the quality of the air that I breath in.  Change on a much larger scale is needed.  Since that's not something I can achieve on my own, might as well give up.

I'm starting to think that either people completely forget what you write within a day or two, or that somehow they've presented the information in a way that will cause you to have a sudden revelation.

You have lost me  :lol:

frunk

Quote from: Monoriu on July 19, 2016, 10:45:04 AM

You've had the same position on these matters for years and they haven't changed, yet people are always shocked when you say them.

Monoriu

Quote from: frunk on July 19, 2016, 10:47:19 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 19, 2016, 10:45:04 AM

You've had the same position on these matters for years and they haven't changed, yet people are always shocked when you say them.

Oh well, at least someone notices that I am consistent  :hug:  I'd rather that people believe that anime is worth watching and/or that it is pointless for me to try to find a job in Canada though.  Still working on these. 

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on July 19, 2016, 10:47:19 AM

I care about this issue though :lol:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on July 19, 2016, 09:54:38 AM
So how is that possible if no coal is being replaced with solar? Maybe they just have all that capacity connected to nothing at all.

It is theoretically possible if total newgen capacity is being built so fast than even geometric increases in solar -- starting from a small base - don't really impact overall relative shares.

QuoteThat is the most incomprehensibly stupid statement I have ever heard in my life.

I don't know about that but it would represent a massive unprecedented shift in PRC industrial policy, which for decades has involved import and adaptation of foreign technology.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson