So, this burglar breaks in at a boxers house......

Started by Viking, July 01, 2009, 05:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

read...

I like old people more than I did this morning.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Pensioner-Batters-Burglar-In-Oxfordshire-Gregory-McCalium-Jailed-For-Four-And-A-Half-Years/Article/200906415325104?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_4&lid=ARTICLE_15325104_Pensioner_Batters_Burglar_In_Oxfordshire%3A_Gregory_McCalium_Jailed_For_Four_And_A_Half_Years

QuoteBurglar Gets Battered By Brave Pensioner

3:43pm UK, Tuesday June 30, 2009
A knife-wielding burglar got the shock of his life when he was left battered and bruised by a 72-year-old former boxer.

Gregory McCalium, 24, was punched twice in the face after breaking into the home of Frank Corti.

The OAP said he was compelled to defend himself and his wife after McCalium threatened them at their home in Botley, Oxford.

McCalium had thrown a knife at the pensioner - which missed. At that point the 72-year-old used his boxing skills to stop the would-be attacker in his tracks.

"I had to restrain him before he could go and get the knife," Mr Corti told the Oxford Mail.

"I was scared when he first threw the knife, but most people would have acted in the same way.

"If you can't defend what's yours, where are we at?"

Oxford Crown Court heard that McCalium confronted the couple after a row over noise levels.

He was drunk after attending a party when he forced his way into Mr Corti's home at 8am on August 19 last year.

McCalium threw the knife towards Mr Corti but the former Royal Engineer dodged the blade and then punched him.

Detective Constable Jon Shaw, from Thames Valley Police, said: "The elderly man, who at the time was at home with his wife, was able to subdue the man until the police arrived.

"Fortunately no one was more injured in this incident but this was still a terrifying situation and McCalium must now pay for his actions."

McCalium, a cocktail barman, was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in jail after being convicted of aggravated burglary.

Mr Corti said he was "very pleased" with the outcome.

"Our life was severely disrupted by the incident and we are pleased he won't be troubling us for a few years," he added.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Story is odd. The guy was convicted of burglary, but the story claims the confrontation was over a noisy party.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Weatherman

Quote from: Malthus on July 01, 2009, 09:42:19 AM
Story is odd. The guy was convicted of burglary, but the story claims the confrontation was over a noisy party.

The guy broke into his house because he thought he called the cops on the party.

Malthus

Quote from: Weatherman on July 01, 2009, 10:07:53 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 01, 2009, 09:42:19 AM

The guy broke into his house because he thought he called the cops on the party.

I thought "burglary" meant breaking into someone's house to steal stuff.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on July 01, 2009, 10:33:01 AM
I think it is breaking into a house with the intent to committ a felony.  We should get a lawyer to say for sure, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on July 01, 2009, 10:47:18 AM
I think it is breaking into a house with the intent to committ a felony.  We should get a lawyer to say for sure, though.

Heh, looking into it you are right.

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on July 01, 2009, 10:50:59 AM
Heh, looking into it you are right.
Even The Brain will concede that I am right twice a day.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Phillip V

Malthus

alfred russel

Quote from: Phillip V on July 01, 2009, 10:58:27 AM
Retirement age should be raised.

Meh. He probably just let his guard down after the DGuller robbery.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on July 01, 2009, 10:47:18 AM

Here (and in the UK, since our criminal law is just a codification of English criminal law) the charge of B&E is more fully "break and enter and commit an indictable offence" or "break and enter with intent to commit an indictable offence".

You're correct G, I'm just giving a more complete answer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on July 01, 2009, 11:09:59 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 01, 2009, 10:58:27 AM
Retirement age should be raised.

Meh. He probably just let his guard down after the DGuller robbery.

Woah. Guy beat him so hard he turned White!  :D