News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

UEFA Euro 2016

Started by Zanza, May 17, 2016, 12:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

When was the last time England won a playoff match in World Cup or UEFA Euro?  I seem to get the (possibly very wrong) impression that it was a while ago. 

HVC

Quote from: Monoriu on June 27, 2016, 09:00:49 PM
When was the last time England won a playoff match in World Cup or UEFA Euro?  I seem to get the (possibly very wrong) impression that it was a while ago. 
has England ever won a knock out game in the euros? I don't think so.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

Quote from: HVC on June 27, 2016, 09:53:05 PM
has England ever won a knock out game in the euros? I don't think so.
And you would be wrong Porto canuck.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

This England generation suck. I miss Beckham.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

WC 2006 v Ecuador in the Round of 16.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

FunkMonk

I read in a Guardian article that Iceland has more UEFA B licensed coaches per population than England does.

Is this true? If it is, what is wrong with England? Does it even want to be good at its own sport?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jun/28/roy-hodgson-england-iceland

QuoteIceland has one Uefa B licence coach for every 825th member of the population. In England that number rises to one per 11,000. At times you wonder if the English really are interested in being good at this.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 28, 2016, 06:06:40 AM
I read in a Guardian article that Iceland has more UEFA B licensed coaches per population than England does.

Is this true? If it is, what is wrong with England? Does it even want to be good at its own sport?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jun/28/roy-hodgson-england-iceland

QuoteIceland has one Uefa B licence coach for every 825th member of the population. In England that number rises to one per 11,000. At times you wonder if the English really are interested in being good at this.

AFAIK the lacking qualifications of coaches in England has been an issue for a while, as very few of them are licenced through UEFA. It's been part of the discussion on the failings of the English national team for a good 5-10 years or so.

alfred russel

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 28, 2016, 06:06:40 AM

That really highlights the advantage Iceland had in the match. While outnumbered 164-1 in population, they are only outnumbered 12-1 in   licensed coaches. As I understand from watching the movie 300, those are good odds for any Greek. I'm sure that also holds true for Vikings.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

Good article about how Iceland has built it's team over the past couple years: https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/how-icelands-two-managers-built-its-greatest-team-ever

I didn't realize the team has TWO managers, not one manager and one assistant, like everyone else. That's pretty cool.

Iceland sounds really cool. I'd like to visit it.  :cool:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 28, 2016, 07:59:51 AM
Iceland sounds really cool. I'd like to visit it.  :cool:
Beautiful country, definitely worth a trip.