News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on November 06, 2016, 11:24:46 AM
Prince should provide a little challenge at least. That's too bad. What I see mainly in my games is the AI never or barely expanding too. Inexplicable

Yeah definitely agree on that. Prince is a cakewalk.  Also yes often see AIs that are stuck without expanding - France is one that I've seen most often doing that.

As Zanza showed, AI also seems to love wars it has no chance of winning.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

I'm still playing my very first game. It's on King difficulty. I'm winning pretty handily and ahead in everything but the religious victory (I don't have a religion) . On track to win a culture victory as America in the modern era.

Game is a little too easy on King, it seems.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 06, 2016, 11:59:14 AM
I'm still playing my very first game. It's on King difficulty. I'm winning pretty handily and ahead in everything but the religious victory (I don't have a religion) . On track to win a culture victory as America in the modern era.

Would you rate it a buy now or a hold and wait for sales/expansions?

Tonitrus

Everything I am seeing so far (especially a brain-dead AI) is reinforcing my "pass" instinct.

Tamas

I think this is the least cheating AI in the series (well, since 4 for sure), and it shows. This is really an AI that plays the game like you (apart from the bonuses from difficulty)

For example, the AI does not get an auto-upgrade on units like in 4, and that hurts it.

Also it seems like actual improvements to the combat AI over 5's make it mishandle situations. Like, it is great that the AI here does not throw away units needlessly on useless sieges - if the odds of the war turned against it, it will retreat and sue for peace.

But this also make it seemingly very wary of starting attrition attacks against city walls.
And it seems to dread the warmonger penalty for conquering cities - after a certain point in a game it seems like actual city conquests just stop.

I hope they manage to improve it, because in a lot of ways this is the best Civ AI. It just has crucial weaknesses that seriously ruin its performance.

Zanza

The AI sucks on both a strategic and tactical level.

Strategic: poor expansion despite this still being the major factor of power, doesn't seem to understand the unbalanced science boost system, starts unwinnable wars

Tactical: Moves around troops all the time so that a "surprise" attack is not surprising at all as you can see it coming ten turns early. The inability to just keep troops in place and not move them for a round also means it never really gets troops into position. It also can't really handle chokepoints due to this inability, i.e. it can't give away half a turn if that would make sense to let another unit "overtake" or so.

It doesn't play like a human, it plays like a human who doesn't understand half the systems in the game and has a very poor grasp of grand strategy - the thing this game is supposedly about.

Tamas

What I meant is that it is playing almost by the same rules as you. That's quite a jump from 4's AI for example, where it was really in a lot of ways totally detached from the constraints of the game rules.

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2016, 03:06:08 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 06, 2016, 11:59:14 AM

Would you rate it a buy now or a hold and wait for sales/expansions?

I'm still enjoying the game a lot but if AI a major sticking point for you then ymmv.

AI has never been a big thing for me in Civ. As long as it at least builds units and attacks other players I'm fine with it.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 07, 2016, 08:15:41 AM
Thanks  :)

For what it's worth, the AI issue is only slowing me down now, only because there is a guy on Civfanatics who claims he figured out the problem why the AI limits itself to only a very few unit types, and I am waiting for the fresh version of his mod.

But I have 91 hours clocked on the game already and I was totally addicted to it for like two weeks.

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 07, 2016, 08:15:41 AM
Thanks  :)

Keep in mind my sample is exactly n=1  :P

I am still enjoying the game, but I'm much more of a casual player.

Josquius

Very tempted to buy.
But 49.99?
Shit that's a rip off. Since when are games that much?
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on November 07, 2016, 12:09:47 PM
Very tempted to buy.
But 49.99?

Since forever? At least brand new releases from major studios.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Tyr on November 07, 2016, 12:09:47 PM
Very tempted to buy.
But 49.99?
When you consider that the price in GBP includes about 20% VAT, the game is roughly as much as it is in USD (without sales tax), namely 50 USD or 40 GBP. Your curreny lost about 15-20% value in the last months, so that's just fair.