News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Today is a bank holiday in Germany, so I played this a bit, until about 1200 AD. It's fun and eventually develops that "one more turn" feel.

Research is too fast, building stuff takes too long. Not sure if I like how they basically split research into two separate resources. What for? I guess that just makes it harder to balance.

I was attacked early on by the Sumerians, but as the AI first moved troops close to me for like five turns, I could actually move all my units into position before he declared war.

I like the new concept with districts. But you have to know the requirements for wonders etc. extremely well to place them right. Something to get used to.

frunk

The culture "research" track was split off in Civ V, it was just handled differently.

I do agree that the research speed is wonky, particularly because of the eureka bonuses.

Districts work really well to simultaneously simplify city management while allowing all the specialization in previous Civs.

Zanza

In Civ V the culture track was only policies though, not units, buildings and wonders.

It also expanded your territory - not sure if it still does that?

Zanza

I spaced my cities so that I had very little overlap as having a lot of workable tiles was usually the best strategy in Civ I to V. Not sure if that's still true. With all those adjecency bonus, it might make more sense to crowd your cities together a bit more, maybe 4-5 tiles apart instead of six or more.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on November 01, 2016, 11:32:24 AM
I spaced my cities so that I had very little overlap as having a lot of workable tiles was usually the best strategy in Civ I to V. Not sure if that's still true. With all those adjecency bonus, it might make more sense to crowd your cities together a bit more, maybe 4-5 tiles apart instead of six or more.

Also, some wonders will have a radius and will affect all cities in range.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

IIRC factories affect cities in a range of 6 hexes.

Also I have noticed the game suggests settler-settling locations 4 hexes from your other cities (and beyond). So I guess Zanza is on to something.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on November 01, 2016, 11:55:48 AM
IIRC factories affect cities in a range of 6 hexes.

Also I have noticed the game suggests settler-settling locations 4 hexes from your other cities (and beyond). So I guess Zanza is on to something.

4 or 5 hexes should be sufficient. The AI, in those cases it's actually not sleeping, keeps it's cities at those ranges too I saw.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Zanza on November 01, 2016, 11:09:40 AM
In Civ V the culture track was only policies though, not units, buildings and wonders.

It also expanded your territory - not sure if it still does that?

In V, it opens up different wonders & sometimes gives units like workers & settlers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

i'm trying to like this game, but its not doing it for me. I get bored and start a new game. rinse and repeat.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

I gotta say I love Civ 6.

Syt

I think the religious game needs improvement. Currently it's all about spamming religious. And boy, does the AI spam them sometimes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Yeah. Possibly have a limit of active units, like you have with Archeologists - perhaps one active unit per Holy Site you have.

I do like the religious combat in abstracto, though. Having Apostles dish it out to each other is a much more fun way of spreading your religion than just sending missionaries - and given that I often veer towards a cultural game, and build Mount St. Michel, getting a juicy relic every time your Apostle bites the dust is also fun (especially if I manage to grab the Founder belief that I think doubles or tripples relic yields).

Syt

I like the idea of a limit to religious units, probably bound to holy districts. You can gear your civ to use faith for things other than buying religious stuff, but I feel it rarely makes sense to do so because you will then be overwhelmed by AI religious units.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Yeah. The problem with religious game is that the AI seems to value it very highly (it is, admittedly, one of the easier victories, especially on smaller maps), so you either have to beat the AI at its own game by converting their cities completely, effectively removing their ability to ever spread their faith to you, or you need to stave off wave after wave of enemy apostles.

In one of my last games, I was Saladin, bordering Philip II and Frederick Barbarossa. These motherfuckers never gave up. So I adopted Theocracy, religious combat bonus civics, and converted them all to Islam. The bad part was that I won the game as a result, even though I was trying to get the Science victory.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 29, 2016, 07:28:11 AM
What I meant though they are my favourite leaders to play as in terms of my playstyle - aggressive culture builders.

Ah.

Actually I gave her a spin and she was quite fun with the light cavalry troops that always come two for one. Took out Brussels, and two city Germany fairly quickly. Catherine again thought she was sneaky with a gaggle of warriors slowly making their way to one of my isolated, poorly defended cities. Unfortunately for her, that was 2 turns before to Saka Horse Archers got produced and demolished her forces.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.