News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2021, 11:14:51 AM
customization of leaders - iirc you can already choose which leaders you play against

I watched the video and I think it allows you to prevent certain leaders from being pick when randomising selection.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2021, 11:36:09 AM
customization of leaders - iirc you can already choose which leaders you play against

I watched the video and I think it allows you to prevent certain leaders from being pick when randomising selection.

That makes some sense if you really hate playing against particular leaders but you still want a random selection. The article said this was useful if you wanted to play against a particular leader, but we can already do that.  If you want to play against a particular leader or leaders, you can select them and leave the rest random.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2021, 11:48:41 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 17, 2021, 11:36:09 AM

That makes some sense if you really hate playing against particular leaders but you still want a random selection. The article said this was useful if you wanted to play against a particular leader, but we can already do that.  If you want to play against a particular leader or leaders, you can select them and leave the rest random.

Yeah they also said that in their video so seems like an inapt statement about what the new feature allows.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Damn, I'm really tempted to play again. :unsure:

mongers

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone here Not got Civilization 3?

As I've a spare steamcode for the complete version if anyone wants it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Had third go with CIV6 when it was on free weekend trial, still couldn't get into it.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on April 07, 2021, 09:11:46 AM
Had third go with CIV6 when it was on free weekend trial, still couldn't get into it.  :hmm:

Yeah...I bought it this weekend, pretty cheap with a bunch of DLCs and XPs.

The one thing I think CIV needs is tech spread. I know you can trade techs; but it should have some form of tech spread, so that one country isn't lobbing bows and arrows whilst its neighbour is producing T34s.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

More generally, the problem with all Civ games is that many of their mechanics snowball rather than hit diminishing returns.  The rich get richer faster than the poor get richer, which is an unstable system.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on April 07, 2021, 12:14:02 PM
More generally, the problem with all Civ games is that many of their mechanics snowball rather than hit diminishing returns.  The rich get richer faster than the poor get richer, which is an unstable system.

Yeah but that's a generic 4X problem (with Paradox games very much included) that few tried to address.

The Brain

And if they don't people whine about the lack of realism. More importantly though why did Civ 5 use Erik XIV as their model for Gustavus Adolphus?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on April 08, 2021, 04:12:18 AM

And if they don't people whine about the lack of realism. More importantly though why did Civ 5 use Erik XIV as their model for Gustavus Adolphus?

Nobody actually cares about Sweden. It's out of the way and has ghastly climate. Ball bearings can only compensate for so much.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on April 08, 2021, 02:39:14 AM

Yeah but that's a generic 4X problem (with Paradox games very much included) that few tried to address.
Its hard to think how to do this in a fun way even. Modelling decline in a way that is still enjoyable is the ultimate game design challenge.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on April 08, 2021, 04:46:10 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 08, 2021, 02:39:14 AM

Its hard to think how to do this in a fun way even. Modelling decline in a way that is still enjoyable is the ultimate game design challenge.

I guess I can say this because I had nothing to do with figuring the actual design out: I thought FoG Empires figured out a good way. It is quite abstract to be fair and wasn't easy to explain.

Syt

Other games made failing fun and entertaining: Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, e.g. Not sure how to apply this dynamic to 4X games.

I thought one of the old Civilization board games - not the Middle Eastern one (and a mod for Civ4, I think, Ryse and Fall, IIRC - never played it, though) had the idea of you playing a succession of civilizations - i.e. first you play ancient civs, then next turn you expand with a new empire on the existing map etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on April 08, 2021, 05:03:41 AM
Other games made failing fun and entertaining: Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, e.g. Not sure how to apply this dynamic to 4X games.

I thought one of the old Civilization board games - not the Middle Eastern one (and a mod for Civ4, I think, Ryse and Fall, IIRC - never played it, though) had the idea of you playing a succession of civilizations - i.e. first you play ancient civs, then next turn you expand with a new empire on the existing map etc.

I'd love that but most people would not be able to stomach it. We don't like snowballing but for a lot of people that's the exact reason to play.

Thing is, a lot of people when they roflstomp, in, say, CK3, they don't see the deep flaws with historical simulation, they see how awesome they are for beating this game.