And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 14, 2021, 07:04:13 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 13, 2021, 11:00:38 PM
Seeing this thread, I decided to reinstall the game from Steam, and give it another go.  I lasted 40 minutes before I got bored.  "Please, no more turns..."
I've found I restarted often. Resource limitations make sense for game mechanics, but if I have no domestic iron or horses I may as well stop playing. Same later on when I have 3 oil and 12 coal.  I'll get steam rollered.

You could go for a non-domination victory I suppose. I don't know. I'm pretty new to CIV VI. Last I played was CIV III.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on May 14, 2021, 08:00:17 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 14, 2021, 07:04:13 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 13, 2021, 11:00:38 PM
Seeing this thread, I decided to reinstall the game from Steam, and give it another go.  I lasted 40 minutes before I got bored.  "Please, no more turns..."
I've found I restarted often. Resource limitations make sense for game mechanics, but if I have no domestic iron or horses I may as well stop playing. Same later on when I have 3 oil and 12 coal.  I'll get steam rollered.

You could go for a non-domination victory I suppose. I don't know. I'm pretty new to CIV VI. Last I played was CIV III.

Really?

I'd give Civ IV a go in preference to VI.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

I think the pretty universally held opinion is that Civ 3 is the worst game of the franchise.  The culture mechanics that pretty much force you to Holodomor every foreign city you conquered is probably the most awful mechanic I ever came across in a major game. 

Civ 6 has to be the second-worst, though, just on account of intense apathy that it inspires.  Turning a classic "one more turn" game into a chore required some pretty serious chain of misjudgments in the game design.

Solmyr

I'm coming close to 800 hours played in Civ 6 (have 684 in 5), so it must have done something right.

Valmy

Civ II was the best with the FMV Elvis.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Solmyr on May 14, 2021, 01:38:54 PM
I'm coming close to 800 hours played in Civ 6 (have 684 in 5), so it must have done something right.
If you like playing Civ 6, good for you.  I'm not going to judge you for your poor taste in games, even if it's obviously warranted in this case.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on May 14, 2021, 01:52:28 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 14, 2021, 01:38:54 PM
If you like playing Civ 6, good for you.  I'm not going to judge you for your poor taste in games, even if it's obviously warranted in this case.
:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I heard Guller plays Fortnight.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on May 12, 2021, 06:06:55 PM
Conquer the holy city of that religion from him?

And then what happens?

I took the holy city. I own it now. But it still shows him as converting three civz and is one more away from winning.  Or should I have destroyed it?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Solmyr

Don't think that will do anything as long as he still has holy sites of his religion to create apostles/missionaries. You either need to destroy all those, or just conquer him completely.

Zanza

According to my Steam stats, I played Civ VI three times as much as Civ V (more than 400h versus 150h for Civ V). I guess I played Civ II and IV more though.

Syt

I have about 120 in both V and VI (which surprised me - maybe I left VI on in the background while doing something else?), and I definitely have more finished games in V.

I do have 57 achievements in V, vs 32 in VI.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

I played a ton of the first, a tiny bit of II, none of III, quite a bit of IV, 128 hours of V (there were some good mods) and 22 hours of VI.  71 and 7 for achievements on V and VI.

DGuller

I gave the game another go.  At some point I realized that my negotiation screen is completely broken, I can't offer or demand anything, including peace.  :rolleyes: Is Johan still working for Paradox?

DGuller

Oh, turns out I had Concise UI mod on, I had no idea I had any mods running.  Still, the stupid game should've gave me some indications I had mods running.  :mad: