News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Seeing this bump, it just dawned (or re-dawned) on me how little I've played Civ VI.  Checking Steam, it's 67 hours in total, last time almost three months ago.  What a complete dud this game turned out to be.

DGuller

According to Steam stats, Civ V is now played more than Civ VI, almost by a factor of 2.  :pinch:  Something is seriously wrong at Firaxis.

Eddie Teach

I still play civ iv every so often.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

schaksen

Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2017, 09:44:51 PM
According to Steam stats, Civ V is now played more than Civ VI, almost by a factor of 2.  :pinch:  Something is seriously wrong at Firaxis.
Humble bundle? https://www.humblebundle.com/civilization-bundle and/or several other previous sales?
Formerly known as Gumby, this was/is my pdx nick

Syt

Civ VI also doesn't have workshop integration yet which may keep people playing modded Civ V instead.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

They added the workshop and development tools in the new patch.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2017, 09:44:51 PM

To be fair, it hasn't really had any mechanic upgrades so in some aspects is still behind Civ V. I've been giving it another spin with Australia (which it looks like it may by default start that nation on its own mini continent which is kind of fun) and had a good deal of fun.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 24, 2017, 01:01:41 AM

I've enjoyed playing the updated colonization recently and that uses the Civ IV engine.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on February 28, 2017, 09:05:54 AM

I've enjoyed playing the updated colonization recently and that uses the Civ IV engine.

Did you try The Authentic Colonization mod? Really improves the "updated" Colonization.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/mod-the-authentic-colonization-tac.440319/

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 28, 2017, 12:35:09 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 28, 2017, 09:05:54 AM

Did you try The Authentic Colonization mod? Really improves the "updated" Colonization.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/mod-the-authentic-colonization-tac.440319/

Oh, thanks for that Duque, I'll give it a try. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

So I tried the new Civ6 patch. I played the game briefly at release, but it didn't quite "click" with me.

I still like the new mechanics (or, more accurately, the ideas behind the new mechanics), like the dual tech tree, city districts, and the civics system.

I love the map and presentation.

The AI, though ... They swing insanely between "let's be friends", "I kill you", and "let's be friends again". In early game there's no knowing why they swing so violently (I had nations suddenly DOW me despite having twice as many "+" points as "-" points with them). Then they send no units against you, and after ten turns you make peace and are friends again.

All things combined I find the game "meh" and bland. I've palyed more of Beyond Earth than this. I think I'll go back to Civ4 and 5 for now.

I think the problem might be player feedback in Civ6. The AI opinions' modifiers are hidden from you at the start. It might show you "+5 Unknown Reason", "+2 Unkown Reason", "-3 Unknown Reason" and "Hidden Agenda" (a random agenda, drawn at the start of the game).

By unlocking more diplomatic powers and having more contact with them you will start to "unveil" these modifiers. Sounds great in theory - at first you have no idea why foreign nations do what they do, and over time you gain better insight in their psyche and are able to make decisions accordingly. It's one of those concepts that are cool on paper, but can seriously impede a player early on.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Yeah agreed, they definitely should re-think that as AI hate gets tiresome.

Tried out a spin as Macedonia. Steam rolled everyone who started on my continent. Loved how all units healed when you took out wonder city. Only Jadwiga of Poland didn't hate me as she was only ruler not to know of me during my conquests. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Oh and Nubia seems and odd DLC choice. I wonder if they will ever make DLC worthy buying for this.

Josquius

Gotta give the black Egyptian fanboys some love
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Between Nubia and Poland and Australia they sure are stretching the definition of a 'civilization'  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."