News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Foxy Lady: A Stellaris AAR

Started by jimmy olsen, May 11, 2016, 05:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

The Kitsune of Inari evolved in a harsh arctic environment. The limited resources lead to the development of a long lived species that reproduced slowly. Always ready to pick up and leave for greener pastures, learning how to easily making friends wherever they went out of necessity. When the white wind howls out of the north, you need to be able to count on your neighbor's aid. Friendly as they are, they are free thinkers, each with his or her own ideas on how to live and how to placate the gods ruling over the harsh land.

The Kitsune homeworld of Inari orbits Dakiniten, the heavenly star fox queen. Further in the system, the first space mining station was set up on Kagustschi, a major asteroid, named for the god of fire and blacksmiths. While further out energy mines were set up in the atmospher of the great gas giant Raijin, named for the god of Lightning.

The surrounding systems were rich with mineral wealth, though pour in energy, and the mines were soon booming. However not all were pleased with the ascent of the Kitsune Concordant. A violent cult plunged the nascent star empire into civil war!

Their ships in the Amaterasu system were shot down or boarded and their co-conspirators on Inari rounded up. However it seems they have far more resources then we would have believed, and an undetermined number of their followers have fled the system for the deepness of the void. They will doubtlessly return to make trouble at the least opportune time.

A nearby system has two continental worlds orbiting a gas giant. It will likely be many decades before our scientists develop the technology necessary for us to settle these lush worlds.

Thankfully, two of the nearest stars, already within our sphere of influence, held arctic worlds. One large, but strewn with glaciers, the other smaller but with a more open landscape, welcoming to our settlers. A colony ship quickly arrived, and the planet renamed Kuraokami after the dragon god of rain and snow.

Unfortunately, this settlement plunged the unbalanced, mineral heavy economy into recession that lasted a decade as the Concordant struggled to find the energy resources it needed. This was a perfect storm of economic mismanagement (neglecting to clear the slums of Inari), bad luck geography wise, and an outbreak of space piracy. The fact that many of the nearest systems of worth were teaming with aggressive space born fauna did not help matters.

Eventually frontier outposts were constructed and the borders pushed outwards, with more mines slowly but surely chipping away at the resource deficit. However it was very much a two steps forward, one step back situation. It was the exploitation of the ludicrously rich Yamither System that finally put us in the black.

As we did so we encountered fleets of maurading cultists, triumphing over them again and again, only to be left wondering, "where do they keep getting new ships?"

We would soon regret finding out the answer. The heretics have found an automated starship factory, capable of producing battleships! The Concordant has settled into an uneasy stalemate, unable to destroy the massively fortified automated factory, but neither are the Marauders able to advance into Concordant space.

The Kitsune redoubled their economic development, intent on burying the enemy through industrial might. With the construction of a frontier outpost in the absurdly rich Yamither system, our economic woes were a thing of the past. The colonization of Kuraokami was finally completed.

Not long after a sapient species was found to our delight on a world not far from our new borders. They are just making the first faltering steps to the stars, having launched numerous satellites into orbit around their world. Unfortunately, our translation of their communications indicated they are a xenophobic race that fears the unknown. What's worse, their world is much like our own and we are bound to compete for the same real estate.

The Concordant government decides to preempt any such attempt on their part. Their are two worlds just on our side of the border that are habitable, one an arctic world like Inari, the other a virtual paradise. We quickly send settlers to claim it and rename it Izanami after the goddess of Creation and Death.

The settlement of Izanami is followed by signs that the gods favor us as our scientists and warrior learn to mold the very fabric of reality to their will!

Soon after we were blessed by a visit by space faring nomads, who gave us contact with several other more sedentary space faring races.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 11, 2016, 05:31:12 AM
Dakiniten, the heavenly star fox queen.

You know, she's a cute little, heartbreaker.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 11, 2016, 05:42:10 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 11, 2016, 05:31:12 AM
Dakiniten, the heavenly star fox queen.

You know, she's a cute little, heartbreaker.

:lol:

It's just a paraphrase of a couple of her other names.

Played until 2041 last night. The bottleneck has thouroughly been past and I now have 8 planets, six of them arctic worlds and two ocean worlds. I lucked out and am in a relatively isolated position, allowing me to grow. The arm over is full of empires, most of them jerks. There are two or three ongoing wars in the galaxy that I know about. Seems wars don't break out until states no longer have room to peaceably expand, which makes sense. Some parts of the galaxy are filling up about now and the fighting has begun. I should be insulated from it for a while though. I still have some room to expand. Will post a more indepth update when I get home tonight.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

This will be a bit spoilery with regards to science ship events. Be warned.

===============================================

In the 25th year since our vulpine race gained the ability to travel the stars, we finally came in contact with a close neighbor. They are mollusk like species, peaceful, but wary of outsiders. They call themselves the Havoll Star Assembly. They lie to the galactic north on the next arm over.

Coreward on that arm is a much more hostile species, the avian Confederation of Tukli Zorak. They covet the same worlds that I do and are hegemonic imperialists. They are military republic blinded by bigotry and the false promises of materialism.

An tectonically unstable world was discovered by our expolers, however, attempts to terraform it were unfortunately a failure.

However, this failure was no more than a short term setback. The economy was growing at an amazing pace, allowing the Kitsune Concordant to embark on expansion at a breakneck. Tenjin was the first of the colonies in this wave of expansion to be settled. 

The spiral to the north continued to fill out as we contacted the peaceful Thembolan Republican Colonies and the militaristic Empire of Yihim.

One of our science ship's crews goes mad and kills each other. However, great achievements in science and theology are made. The Crystaline Entities are studied and do much to aid our understanding of physics. An alien proto-civilization is found in the Ovastivum system. The Void Clouds are revealed to be primordial beings from the dawn of creation and conduits of the divine.

Relations with Havoll were deteriorating, so the decision was made to establish an embassy. To the west we discovered a mammalian star faring race committed to evangelizing their strange religion, the Glyrran Interplanetary Foundation. They would later get into a war with an unknown state, for unknown reasons. Not long after we met our neighbors to the south, the Zaydran Cooperative, the friendliest species we have met yet. We immediately established an embassy with them. As you can see in the side bar, by this time we had settled the pristine arctic worlds of Sarutahiko and Ugajin.

The arctic worlds in Kitsune space had at this point all been settled, so our explorers began to eye the Ocean worlds within it and the coasts of their cool northern and southern seas. Sujin was settled first and grouped with Sautahiko in the Cozy Den sector. The settlement of Susanoo soon followed. In the 42nd year of our space faring age we found war on our doorstep as the Confederation of Tukil'Zorak invaded the peaceful Havoll Confederation.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

I've hit the Influence cap, 1000. My leaders are all old, they need to start dieing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.