News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Standoff in Afghan ghost town

Started by citizen k, July 01, 2009, 01:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Lettow77 on July 01, 2009, 09:49:07 PM

Fortunately, the death toll for Southerners is relatively light. We shouldent lose too many this time around to pay the upkeep of empire.

And here's to not being there myself!
Man, you're a cock sucking piece of trash, I hope you get hit by a bus.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2009, 09:57:27 PM
It's not like his viewpoint is all that offensive.  'Keep the troops home' has been the call of isolationists for the last half-century or so, ever since the 'No entangling alliances' bullshit fell apart.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

Honestly a bit suprised at the reaction here. I dont see what is so fundamentally evil, insulting or offensive in not wanting the troops hurt. It's not as if I am wishing an IED catches them in the face, is it?

Although, tim, while your gallant and selfless support of American intervention from the safety of puerto rico is touching, the insults are a bit, well, insulting. A Bus went after my father and relegated him to a wheelchair for awhile, you know. The Bus is one of my family's natural predators in the wild.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

PDH

While this in no way makes up for you being Tim, this is perhaps the best post you have ever made.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

I quoted the wrong Lettow post, I meant to quote the one that BB did. Fixed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on July 01, 2009, 10:04:55 PM
Honestly a bit suprised at the reaction here. I dont see what is so fundamentally evil, insulting or offensive in not wanting the troops hurt. It's not as if I am wishing an IED catches them in the face, is it?
Personally, I'm offended by the moral cowardice of that viewpoint.  The idea that their lives are more valuable than any cause that might be served by foreign adventurism is so weak-minded that it makes me want to have the entire human race liquidated.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Man, you're a cock sucking

The world would probably be a less happier place if everyone thought cock sucking was gross.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

citizen k

Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2009, 10:32:11 PM
Man, you're a cock sucking

The world would probably be a less happier place if everyone thought cock sucking was gross.
But also a more hygienic world with less throat cancer.

garbon

Quote from: citizen k on July 01, 2009, 10:39:22 PM
But also a more hygienic world with less throat cancer.

Maybe less throat cancer but I doubt it'd be more hygienic. People would just have to get off more often with other holes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Scipio on July 01, 2009, 06:40:52 AM
Everything was going fine until dickless over there shut off the containment unit.
please explain in more details.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Scipio

Quote from: viper37 on July 02, 2009, 08:13:23 AM
Quote from: Scipio on July 01, 2009, 06:40:52 AM
Everything was going fine until dickless over there shut off the containment unit.
please explain in more details.
Is this true?

Yes, this is true, this man has no dick.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

More bad news from Afghanistan

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31703681/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

QuoteAfghan insurgents capture U.S. soldier
GI 'walked off' after completing shift at combat outpost, officials say

NBC News and news services
updated 11:57 a.m. ET, Thurs., July 2, 2009

Insurgents have captured an American soldier in eastern Afghanistan after he walked off post with three Afghan counterparts, officials said Thursday.

U.S. military spokeswoman Capt. Elizabeth Mathias said the soldier disappeared Tuesday.

"We have all available resources out there looking for him and hopefully providing for his safe return," she said.

Mathias said the serviceman's identity was not being released to "protect the soldier's well-being."

The news broke as thousands of   U.S. Marines launched a major anti-Taliban offensive in southern Afghanistan. The missing soldier was not part of that operation.

The soldier was noticed missing during a routine check of the unit on Tuesday and was first listed as "duty status whereabouts unknown," a U.S. defense official said on condition of anonymity.

It wasn't until Thursday that officials said publicly that he was missing and described him as "believed captured." Details of such incidents are routinely held very tightly by the military as it works to retrieve a missing or captured soldier without giving away any information to captors.

Off duty?
NBC News reported that a representative of the Taliban had contacted the U.S. military in Afghanistan and provided details of the soldier's identity.

Initial reports indicated that the soldier was off duty at the time he went missing, having just completed a shift, the official said on condition of anonymity because details are still sketchy.

The missing man is an enlisted soldier, and his family has been notified.

There were conflicting reports about the circumstances surrounding the American's disappearance.

Afghan Police Gen. Nabi Mullakheil said the soldier went missing in the Mullakheil area of eastern Paktika province, where there is an American base.

However, NBC News reported that the Taliban had claimed to have captured three U.S. soldiers in the eastern province of Khost. That claim could not be verified.

Khost and Paktika are adjacent to each other and share a border with Pakistan.

Two U.S. defense sources said the soldier "just walked off" post with three Afghan counterparts after he finished working. They said they had no explanation for why he left the base. He was assigned to a combat outpost, one of a number of smaller bases set up by foreign forces in Afghanistan, the officials said.

A myriad of insurgent groups operate in eastern Afghanistan, and the Taliban is only one of them.

The most important insurgent group operating in that area is known as Haqqani network and is led by Siraj Haqqani, whom the U.S. has accused of masterminding beheadings and suicide bombings.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

I dont like that either, although I didint root up an annoying graphic to express my support for a position like 'getting captured by muslims sucks'.

On the bright side, this -is- a professional army, and as such these are exactly the sort of people arab terrorists are supposed to run off with. (Is terrorist the right word? Time was, that line of profession would be called guerilla fighter..)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Phillip V

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Neil on July 01, 2009, 09:55:19 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on July 01, 2009, 09:49:07 PM
Yes, because my appreciation for a low death toll and not having to be there myself killing johnny foreigner who I have no quarrel with is so riotously offensive, yes?
It's not for you to decide who you have a quarrel with.
Since the SOuth lost the war it certainly isn't. 

Isolationism is a self-defeating proposition.  What I don't like is sugar coating it wth a bunch of bullshit about humanitarianism.  We are there to destroy our enemies. We have a definite interest in the Mesopotamian and Saudi regions because of the oil reserves there and the security concerns.   
PDH!