News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

President Trump - The First 100 days.

Started by mongers, May 04, 2016, 06:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on August 02, 2016, 11:01:34 AM
I have a horrible feeling we may find out exactly what kind of damage a Trump Presidency may do.

The current parade of Trump gaffes and insane or idiotic statements - while the race remains more or less neck and neck - makes me wonder what it would take to get his current supporters to not vote for him.  :(

I think there is only one way.  When they find out that even if Trump is elected president, their lives won't improve.  That's when they'll stop voting for him. 

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on August 02, 2016, 11:08:14 AM
I think there is only one way.  When they find out that even if Trump is elected president, their lives won't improve.  That's when they'll stop voting for him.
Yes, because American voters are really good at figuring out cause and effect.

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on August 02, 2016, 11:08:14 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 02, 2016, 11:01:34 AM
I have a horrible feeling we may find out exactly what kind of damage a Trump Presidency may do.

The current parade of Trump gaffes and insane or idiotic statements - while the race remains more or less neck and neck - makes me wonder what it would take to get his current supporters to not vote for him.  :(

He can only run twice.  I have a sinking feeling that most of the people voting for Trump just want to stick to Muslims and Hispanics.  Quite a few wouldn't be that bothered if gave blacks a hard time, and some would be fine with seeing the Jews harmed.  That's really all they want.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

I somewhat doubt the worst of the Trump predictions would come true.

To me, the saddest thing about a Trump win is that he is so obviously a buffoon, I won't be able to take the US government seriously anymore and I don't think I'll be "proud to be an american" overseas.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Zanza

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 02, 2016, 10:41:58 AM
The kinds of risks that a Trump presidency involve would include:
+ breaking/abrogating treaties
+ panicking markets with antics like exploring debt writedowns
+ causing allies to finlandize to russia/china due to perceived unreliability of US security guarantees
+ ignoring unfavorable WTO panel rulings/imposing illegal tariffs which if done often enough could undermine the multi-lateral trade system
+ do lots of unconstitutional things and then engage in brutal rhetorical attacks on the Supreme Court - further politicizing the Court and generating mini-constitutional crises
+ further to the above, appointing nutbars to the Court and/or trying to pack it ("FDR did it")

That's not end of the world bad stuff but it's pretty bad.
The stuff you listed would basically give up 75 years of American foreign policy.

sbr

Quote from: Zanza on August 02, 2016, 12:12:51 PM
+ causing allies to finlandize to russia/china due to perceived unreliability of US security guarantees
+ ignoring unfavorable WTO panel rulings/imposing illegal tariffs which if done often enough could undermine the multi-lateral trade system
+ do lots of unconstitutional things and then engage in brutal rhetorical attacks on the Supreme Court - further politicizing the Court and generating mini-constitutional crises
+ further to the above, appointing nutbars to the Court and/or trying to pack it ("FDR did it")

The stuff you listed would basically give up 75 years of American foreign policy.

The people who would vote for trump (or not hillary) think that would be a good thing.

Zanza

Quote from: sbr on August 02, 2016, 12:18:17 PM

The people who would vote for trump (or not hillary) think that would be a good thing.
I know. Funny how they probably consider themselves "conservatives" when their candidate promises this radical change in policy. It basically upends the postwar world order that relies on America's hegemony, committment and reliability. 

The Minsky Moment

If the primaries taught us anything, they taught that conservatism is not a commonly held political philosophy among the American electorate.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Yep. I'm not as relaxed about the US' checks and balances but even if they were effective at neutralising Trump I don't think the liberal, Western, rules based post-war world would survive. The US may be able to survive a want to be strongman, but I'm not sure the Western system could survive that from its leader.

And I think people can be a bit over-relaxed about these things. History is full of enduring systems collapsing because in themselves they don't matter if there's not the will to maintain them. Given Trump's comments today about a stolen, rigged election I'd already worry about the ability of the US system to endure. After all, Presidential systems generally end in an authoritarian regime or a coup. Though I imagine the lame duck Congress and Obama would rapidly dismantle the 'imperial Presidency' and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they found a compromise SCOTUS candidate if that's allowed.

I've no idea what his first 100 days would be like. I think it's impossible to even guess because he's so far from any norms.
Let's bomb Russia!

frunk

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 02, 2016, 01:08:01 PM
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they found a compromise SCOTUS candidate if that's allowed.

I would be entirely surprised.  Obama nominated a very good compromise SCOTUS candidate the Republicans refuse to consider, and one of the few arguments that rational Republicans are buying is the "we can't let Hillary nominate 1 or 2 people to the bench".  If the Republicans were scared of Trump's nominees they'd take Obama's offer.

Sheilbh

Similarly I think Obama's a decent man with a sense of responsibility. I'm sure if the GOP Senators came to him and said, look we can't now accept Garland, please could you nominate one of x sane (non-Trumpian) conservatives he probably would.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: frunk on August 02, 2016, 01:15:50 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 02, 2016, 01:08:01 PM
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they found a compromise SCOTUS candidate if that's allowed.

I would be entirely surprised.  Obama nominated a very good compromise SCOTUS candidate the Republicans refuse to consider, and one of the few arguments that rational Republicans are buying is the "we can't let Hillary nominate 1 or 2 people to the bench".  If the Republicans were scared of Trump's nominees they'd take Obama's offer.

The Republican senators aren't blocking Garland because they are excited about a potential trump pick and bullish on a trump win. They are blocking garland because they are scared of republican primary voters and supporting an Obama nominee no matter how reasonable may earn them a damnable reputation: a moderate.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 02, 2016, 01:19:35 PM
Similarly I think Obama's a decent man with a sense of responsibility. I'm sure if the GOP Senators came to him and said, look we can't now accept Garland, please could you nominate one of x sane (non-Trumpian) conservatives he probably would.

He already nominated a moderate that was being referenced by Orrin Hatch as the kind of compromise guy that should be nominated but wouldn't be. What more do you want from him?

frunk

Quote from: alfred russel on August 02, 2016, 03:17:26 PM
The Republican senators aren't blocking Garland because they are excited about a potential trump pick and bullish on a trump win. They are blocking garland because they are scared of republican primary voters and supporting an Obama nominee no matter how reasonable may earn them a damnable reputation: a moderate.

Does that fear meaningfully change when it is the general instead of the primaries?  They'll be just as vulnerable to such accusations.

Hamilcar

Clinton should nominate Obama to the Supreme Court.  :huh: