And we're back!

Main Menu

President Trump - The First 100 days.

Started by mongers, May 04, 2016, 06:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 09, 2016, 11:52:19 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on May 05, 2016, 08:11:53 AM
The SJW *leaders* of course are mostly dark triad.

Is there a translator for this?

Sounds like single Jewish women are either joining some covert Asian crime syndicate, or alternatively are spending their evenings managing the US nuclear deterrent.

Jewish women *do* play a lot of mah jongg, so joining an Asian crime syndicate isn't an impossibility ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

dps

Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2016, 09:01:03 AM

Sounds like single Jewish women are either joining some covert Asian crime syndicate, or alternatively are spending their evenings managing the US nuclear deterrent.

Jewish women *do* play a lot of mah jongg, so joining an Asian crime syndicate isn't an impossibility ...  :hmm:

"SJW" to me means Steven Jackson Wargames.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: dps on May 11, 2016, 04:38:37 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2016, 09:01:03 AM

"SJW" to me means Steven Jackson Wargames.

I thought it was just Steve Jackson Games.  :nerd:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on May 10, 2016, 04:34:15 PM
I actually think Trump has a reasonable chance of not being as terrible as we all think.

My horror with him is really not about him, since I actually think his actual policies would have little resemblance to the things he says, but rather about the fact that he says those things, and Americans - a lot of Americans - love him for it.

I think if he were President he would likely be largely incompetent, but not actually malevolent. He would not get much done, and what he did get done would have little in common with the idiotic rhetoric he has been spewing for the last 9 months.

Yeah he could be ineffectual or he could even be sort of decent in a surprising way. Other options include self-serving corruption that'd make Berlusconi blush, and, of course flailing about tearing down institutions and causing economic havoc Chavez style when he fails to deliver anything resembling his promises.

mongers

So though his chances of winning currently seem on the decline, hoq has your thinking evolved on just how good or bad his presidency will be?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on May 10, 2016, 04:34:15 PM
I actually think Trump has a reasonable chance of not being as terrible as we all think.

Yeah, that's everybody's first fucking mistake.

FunkMonk

Maybe Trump will just delegate everything to other people and get his narcissistic highs giving TV interviews and doing rallies everywhere.

Of course, then it depends on who he delegates all his shit to.  :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Martinus

Quote from: mongers on August 01, 2016, 04:31:58 PM
So though his chances of winning currently seem on the decline

Why would you say that? They are definitely higher than back in May when you started this thread.

Caliga

I feel like Trump would be an extraordinarily ineffective President, but the way our government is structured he's really incapable of doing much destruction, and I don't think he's crazy enough to fire off nukes or anything like that.  But there's just no way in hell Congress would ever work with the guy.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on August 02, 2016, 10:20:56 AM
I feel like Trump would be an extraordinarily ineffective President, but the way our government is structured he's really incapable of doing much destruction, and I don't think he's crazy enough to fire off nukes or anything like that.  But there's just no way in hell Congress would ever work with the guy.

Actually, the way our executive is structured presumes that someone like Trump could never get into office.

He has shown that he is radically worse than I feared at the start of what looked like a PR stunt. He has thin skin, a hyper inflated ego, and an incredible lack of self awareness or basic common sense.

In fact, I think you could not construct a human being who could be *more* dangerous as President. This is someone who can order US forces to engage in lethal actions on his word alone in a variety of ways. He might not fire of a nuke, but he could certainly order a air/missile strike on some target basically because he is pissed off or annoyed.

And the damage simply electing him would do to our international credibility would be immense.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

The kinds of risks that a Trump presidency involve would include:
+ breaking/abrogating treaties
+ panicking markets with antics like exploring debt writedowns
+ causing allies to finlandize to russia/china due to perceived unreliability of US security guarantees
+ ignoring unfavorable WTO panel rulings/imposing illegal tariffs which if done often enough could undermine the multi-lateral trade system
+ do lots of unconstitutional things and then engage in brutal rhetorical attacks on the Supreme Court - further politicizing the Court and generating mini-constitutional crises
+ further to the above, appointing nutbars to the Court and/or trying to pack it ("FDR did it")

That's not end of the world bad stuff but it's pretty bad. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on August 02, 2016, 10:20:56 AM
I think this is a dangerous level of complacency.  Our president has quite a lot of say in foreign affairs, and having an idiot at the helm is very dangerous.  And it's not like having the government paralyzed and preoccupied with containing the idiot at the top is not destructive on its own.

Malthus

I have a horrible feeling we may find out exactly what kind of damage a Trump Presidency may do.

The current parade of Trump gaffes and insane or idiotic statements - while the race remains more or less neck and neck - makes me wonder what it would take to get his current supporters to not vote for him.  :(

It seems like he could pull down his pants and take a shit on the US Constitution in a public press conference, while giving a Nazi salute, and it would not make the slightest difference.  He's already said he'd enact policies that would be substantially similar to those symbolic acts.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius