News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Starting your own business

Started by Hamilcar, May 04, 2016, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Who here has done it? Any insights & tips?

mongers

Quote from: Hamilcar on May 04, 2016, 04:53:18 PM

Yes, yes, yes. No, don't do it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

What is your current level of knowledge about starting a business?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Phillip V

I will start a business after I get wealthy and/or have cheap access to other people's money.

crazy canuck

how are you going to finance your venture?  Do you have a good business plan?  Has your business plan been reviewed by a dispassionate third party?  Do they think it is a good business plan.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 04, 2016, 05:24:56 PM

how are you going to finance your venture?  Do you have a good business plan?  Has your business plan been reviewed by a dispassionate third party?  Do they think it is a good business plan.

That's what he's using Languish for.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Monoriu

What is your competitive advantage?  Are your goods and services cheaper?  Or are they better?  Or do you fill a niche that nobody does?  If you can't confidently say yes to any of these questions, you need to think twice. 

derspiess

I have no interest in opening my own business, apart from creating a consulting firm at some point.  That said, if the wife and I had gone with our idea to open an empanada restaurant a few years ago, we'd have made some money.  People around here are going nuts for them now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Phillip V

Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2016, 09:01:40 PM
I have no interest in opening my own business, apart from creating a consulting firm at some point.  That said, if the wife and I had gone with our idea to open an empanada restaurant a few years ago, we'd have made some money.  People around here are going nuts for them now.

Yeah, but then you would have had to put in long hours from early morning to late night and be responsible for very serious shit, including other people, for how much real gain?

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on May 04, 2016, 09:19:35 PM
Yeah, but then you would have had to put in long hours from early morning to late night and be responsible for very serious shit, including other people, for how much real gain?

Part of the plan was to import a couple in-laws for cheap labor, but yeah it owning/running a restaurant is just a whole bag of hurt.  Even just owning a food truck isn't the walk in the park some people presume it to be.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2016, 09:29:08 PM
Part of the plan was to import a couple in-laws for cheap labor,

:lol:

Monoriu

Quote from: Phillip V on May 04, 2016, 09:19:35 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2016, 09:01:40 PM

I imagine that a big part of the appeal is not having to listen to a boss any more.

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on May 04, 2016, 07:47:49 PM
What is your competitive advantage?  Are your goods and services cheaper?  Or are they better?  Or do you fill a niche that nobody does?  If you can't confidently say yes to any of these questions, you need to think twice.

Hamilcar's advantage is that he is smarter than everyone else, is well financed, and deliver his product or service with a maximum helping of Swiss smug.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 04, 2016, 09:29:52 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 04, 2016, 09:29:08 PM
Part of the plan was to import a couple in-laws for cheap labor,

:lol:

Hey I'd have given them a place to stay.