News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dems reach 60 in US Senate

Started by Phillip V, June 30, 2009, 02:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

DGuller

I wonder how dirty Republicans would be willing to go to keep Franken from going to the Senata, or at least stall him.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on June 30, 2009, 02:12:55 PM
I wonder how dirty Republicans would be willing to go to keep Franken from going to the Senata, or at least stall him.

The way things look to be going, Democrats may have more incentive than Republicans to keep him away from his seat.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on June 30, 2009, 02:15:04 PM

The way things look to be going, Democrats may have more incentive than Republicans to keep him away from his seat.
What I miss?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Yay, now the Dems have even more total control!   :unsure:  Heck, back when the Repubs had a lesser majority in Bush's first term I felt that Congress needed rules so that the party in power didn't have so much control; prevent legislation and issues from getting to the floor, etc. Now the Dems have a super majority. That doesn't bode well, no matter the party, in my view.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2009, 02:18:54 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 30, 2009, 02:15:04 PM

What I miss?

Cal's thread.  Which came first and was cooler.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

I wouldn't worry too much.  Democrats, and especially Obama, have a tendency to negotiate with themselves.  They would never make the most of their supermajority in a way Republicans would, they don't have the party discipline or the drive for that.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 30, 2009, 02:25:00 PM
I wouldn't worry too much.  Democrats, and especially Obama, have a tendency to negotiate with themselves.  They would never make the most of their supermajority in a way Republicans would, they don't have the party discipline or the drive for that.

Yeah, look at all the lovely legislation that has been passed and they didn't even have full control yet. :swiss:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2009, 02:18:54 PM
What I miss?

Considering the landscape, that 60th seat is more important symbolically than as far as actually getting bills passed. And that could backfire on them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 30, 2009, 02:25:00 PM
You say that as if larding up a bill with special interest bells and whistles is a good thing.

FunkMonk

Meh, life goes on. The country will still be here tomorrow.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

FunkMonk

Quote from: PDH on June 30, 2009, 06:58:29 PM
Or will it?
You might be right.  :(

DEMZ R FILIBUSTA PROOF EVRYBODY PANIKKKKK
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.