One Top Taxpayer Moved, and New Jersey Shuddered

Started by jimmy olsen, May 02, 2016, 06:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2016, 07:54:04 PM
So Tim, income inequality is the problem here and not a tax structure that relies on screwing the rich?

:lol:

What sort of tax structure would involve somebody who makes 6 billion dollars not paying millions in taxes? :hmm:

The magical mystery tax code.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 03, 2016, 09:11:21 AM
Seize the assets of the rich and redistribute them! Viva la revolution!

Only those who can be demonstrated to be enemies of the people in a fair revolutionary tribunal :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2016, 09:14:35 AM
So Tim, income inequality is the problem here and not a tax structure that relies on screwing the rich?

What sort of tax structure would involve somebody who makes 6 billion dollars not paying millions in taxes? :hmm:

A state 9% top rate is pretty shitty.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

0% income tax rate like Florida, if you define "taxes" as only income tax. ;)
I suspect Florida has higher property taxes, maybe?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on May 03, 2016, 09:29:35 AM

how about 55%? :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

The most equal system: everyone pays exactly the same amount.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on May 03, 2016, 09:56:41 AM

Keep in mind we're talking state income tax rate and not federal, but yeah :yuk:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

You don't see a connection between a tax policy and income inequality?

alfred russel

The state 9% rate is in addition to a marginal federal rate of 39.6% and a marginal medicare rate of 2.35%.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on May 03, 2016, 10:03:09 AM

The state 9% rate is in addition to a marginal federal rate of 39.6% and a marginal medicare rate of 2.35%.
Aren't state income tax deduced from the Federal income tax?

The Minsky Moment

Correct from Vipes.

Plus those are all rates on taxable ordinary income.  No self-respecting billionaire would be earning something as mundane as that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Hamilcar

Soon: New Jersey to demand labor instead of gold for tax burden, forces prominent hedge fund manager to run state pension fund for 2 months per year.