Venezuela is in even worse shape than you thought

Started by jimmy olsen, April 28, 2016, 05:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/22/venezuela-rule-of-law-virtually-absent-un-report

QuoteRule of law 'virtually absent' in Venezuela, UN report says

Government security forces in Venezuela carry out unjustified killings without any apparent consequences, as the rule of law is "virtually absent" in the country, according to a new report by the United Nations.

The UN human rights office called on the government to bring perpetrators to justice and said it was sending its report to the international criminal court (ICC), whose prosecutor opened a preliminary investigation in February.

The report published on Friday cited "credible, shocking" accounts of extrajudicial killings of young men during crime-fighting operations in poor neighbourhoods conducted without arrest warrants. Security forces would tamper with the scene so that there appeared to have been an exchange of fire, it said.

"The failure to hold security forces accountable for such serious human rights violations suggests that the rule of law is virtually absent in Venezuela," said Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, the UN high commissioner for human rights. "The impunity must end."

There was no immediate response from the government of President Nicolás Maduro.

Critics say Maduro has used increasingly authoritarian tactics as Venezuela's economy has spiralled deeper into recession and hyperinflation, fuelling discontent and prompting hundreds of thousands to emigrate in the past year.

About 125 people died in anti-government protests last year.

Security forces were allegedly responsible for killing at least 46 of them, said the UN rights spokeswoman Ravina Shamdasani.

Maduro says the opposition protests were aimed at overthrowing him and accuses the United States of directing an "economic war" against Venezuela.

Zeid called on the UN human rights council on Monday to set up an international commission of inquiry into alleged violations in Venezuela – one of its 47 member states.

"The time has come for the Council to use its voice to speak out before this tragic downward spiral becomes irreversible," Leila Swan of Human Rights Watch said in a statement on Friday.

Venezuela is suffering from an economic collapse that includes chronic shortages of food and medicine and annualised inflation around 25,000%. Maduro blames an "economic war" directed by the opposition and the US – which has imposed new sanctions on Venezuela's oil industry.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Populism gone mad. Just kidding populism can't go mad because it is already there.

Notice they are still using the US to keep power, man that works great.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

citizen k

Quote from: Valmy on June 22, 2018, 01:13:54 PM
Populism gone mad. Just kidding populism can't go mad because it is already there.

Is it populism when it's no longer popular? :hmm:

The Brain

Quote from: The GuardianGrowing political authoritarianism has coincided with greater state dominance over the economy. But expropriations, price controls and mismanagement have led to a 40% contraction of the economy in the past five years.

:lol: Love the "but". Good old Guardian.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Well, if Maduro could will the economy to be better, I'm sure he would.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: citizen k on June 22, 2018, 03:01:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 22, 2018, 01:13:54 PM

Is it populism when it's no longer popular? :hmm:

Last I checked he remains bizarrely popular.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."