Service Guarantees Citizenship! Would you like to know more?

Started by CountDeMoney, April 26, 2016, 07:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Brain damage from the Air National Guard landed you the Oval Office.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2016, 09:56:36 AM
I can see how in some federal services, such as coast guard or forestry, it may be beneficial to hire vets, but preference for stuff like, say, the IRS or the department of education just seems weird and counter-productive.

I don't see why it would be.  Guy who could dig latrines in the army should be able to handle cleaning the restrooms in a Dept of Education office building.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2016, 02:21:49 AM
HUGE temperature differential there.

You perhaps presume I am in Alaska entirely by choice.  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 27, 2016, 03:23:48 PM
IIRC a head injury during military service gave you enough points to almost automatically get a job.

Oh, that hasn't really changed.

QuotePreference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher.

Barely qualified by the whiskers on your chinny-chin-chin +  Eyes are ceramic, caught a bazooka round at Little Big Horn, or was it Okinawa? The one without the Indians = Head of the class

Actually, 10% isn't even that debilitating. 

11B4V

I've hired more under VRA in the last two years than the normal competitive process. It's non- competitive

Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA)

Veterans' Recruitment Appointment (VRA) is an excepted authority that allows agencies, to appoint eligible veterans without competition. If you:

are in receipt of a campaign badge for service during a war or in a campaign or expedition; OR
are a disabled veteran, OR
are in receipt of an Armed forces Service Medal for participation in a military operation, OR
are a recently separated veteran (within the last 3 years), AND
separated under honorable conditions (this means an honorable or general discharge), you are VRA eligible.
You can be appointed under this authority at any grade level up to and including a GS-11 or equivalent. This is an excepted service appointment. After successfully completing 2 years, you will be converted to the competitive service. Veterans' preference applies when using the VRA authority.

Agencies can also use VRA to fill temporary (not to exceed 1 year) or term (more than 1 year but not to exceed 4 years) positions. If you are employed in a temporary or term position under VRA, you will not be converted to the competitive service after 2 years.

There is no limit to the number of times you can apply under VRA.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on April 27, 2016, 06:40:47 PM
I've hired more under VRA in the last two years than the normal competitive process. It's non- competitive

That's the whole point.  Congrats, Leader of Men.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 27, 2016, 06:50:47 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 27, 2016, 06:40:47 PM

That's the whole point.  Congrats, Leader of Men.

Thanks  :cheers:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2016, 09:56:36 AM
I can see how in some federal services, such as coast guard or forestry, it may be beneficial to hire vets, but preference for stuff like, say, the IRS or the department of education just seems weird and counter-productive.
why?  You don't think the army had accountants?  Or you think a veteran is only the Rambo-type? :)

Just because TV shows and movies don't make stories about the hero accountant who makes double-shift, at the expanse of his own mental health sometimes, to insure that army has all the necessary resources properly allocated to support the Rambos on the field, does not mean they don't exist.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

I am not saying that there cant be good accountants among veterans, it's just the preference is counter productive. In fact, my rule of thumb is that when in doubt, eschew preference based on factors not directly related to job performance in hiring.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2016, 12:54:35 PM
I am not saying that there cant be good accountants among veterans, it's just the preference is counter productive. In fact, my rule of thumb is that when in doubt, eschew preference based on factors not directly related to job performance in hiring.

Most of the time, once you've screened out the obviously unqualified applicants for a job, you end up with a bunch of candidates who are pretty interchangeable.  You've got to do something to sort them;  for a federal job, giving a preference to a veteran in such a situation doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

MadImmortalMan

How about giving their companies preference for federal contracts?

We've got people literally loaning vets or Alaskan natives money to buy half their company so they can say they are owned by _preferred citizen_.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

██████
██████
██████