News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you get your DNA tested?

Started by Brazen, April 22, 2016, 10:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

I'm thinking about getting my DNA tested by a company like 23andMe (www.23andme.com). Without children in the picture, knowing I stand a greater chance of getting cancer or Alzheimers, both of which have affected my family, would let me adjust my lifestyle accordingly and plan better for the future. Also I want to know if I'm a Viking, and if I'm a non aerobic responder, which would explain why I'm still so shit at running.

Would you want find out what's in your genes, or would you rather not know what you're likely to get ill or die from?

celedhring

I did a few years ago, actually, although it was just for some diseases that are hereditary in my family. I seem to be in the clear (my brother not, but he got the better looks - win some, lose some).

Admiral Yi

What would be a reasonable reaction to learning that you have a heightened propensity for cancer? 

Brazen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 22, 2016, 10:59:18 AM
What would be a reasonable reaction to learning that you have a heightened propensity for cancer?
Lifestyle is still the most significant factor so I'd put more effort in into losing weight and drinking less. I eat pretty well already. At my age prophylactic mastectomy wouldn't be worthwhile.

If I'm likely to get Alzheimer's I'm fucked, but as no other fucker will look after me I'll write a living will and actual will to use my assets accordingly. 

Caliga

B, have you seen the DNA thread we have where we've discussed this topic?  Without retyping everything on there, I've had my DNA tested for both medical and ethnic origin purposes.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Brazen

Quote from: Caliga on April 22, 2016, 11:15:37 AM
B, have you seen the DNA thread we have where we've discussed this topic?  Without retyping everything on there, I've had my DNA tested for both medical and ethnic origin purposes.
Patently not, sorry  :Embarrass:

Tamas

It's interesting, I am quite tempted, but concerned about most of it being made-up BS.

Valmy

It is expensive so I am damn sure want to make sure it will actually be worth my time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

If they can test for an approximate percent chance of a fatal head-on collision in traffic, then sure, I'll do it.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on April 22, 2016, 12:13:22 PM
I know I'm a viking.
You could be the only one in your family with Italian genes.  That could make for interesting discussions in the family! :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Brazen on April 22, 2016, 10:53:01 AM
Would you want find out what's in your genes, or would you rather not know what you're likely to get ill or die from?
Currently, your site gives me a price of 249$CAD for the test.  Bring it under 100$ and I'll seriously consider it for #1.  I'm not too bothered by #2.  When it happens, it happens, that's it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

It is kind of worrying that they have a googleesque business model where YOU are their actual product....yet they charge you for the privilege.

But I am very tempted despite the prices being large at the moment.
Would be interesting to see just how much angle/dane vs. celt I am.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on April 22, 2016, 01:48:49 PM
It is kind of worrying that they have a googleesque business model where YOU are their actual product....yet they charge you for the privilege.

But I am very tempted despite the prices being large at the moment.
Would be interesting to see just how much angle/dane vs. celt I am.
The Ancestry test won't say you are 'Angle', 'Dane', or 'Celt'.  It'll say you are British Isles, Scandinavian, and/or Irish.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Life's a deadly process, so I'll not be doing such a test.

On the subject of ethnicity/ancestry I think there's a temptation to cherry pick the bits that interest you and/or making the most compelling story, so I'm not sure you can get or will let yourself have a dispassionate view of all of your origins?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"