Yemeni airliner crashes into the Indian Ocean.... with survivor(s)!

Started by Caliga, June 30, 2009, 05:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

:o Wow, that's extremely unusual.  The only similar case I can think of is the one over the Amazon in the 70s where one teenage girl survived the midair explosion and managed to hike through the rain forest to safety.... incredible story.

In other news, God now hates the French. :menace:

QuoteChild found alive from crashed plane

(CNN) -- A young child has been recovered alive from a Yemeni jet crash in the Indian Ocean, an airline official said Tuesday.
Relatives of passengers of the plane that crashed await news at Marseille airport in southern France.

The child was the first person found alive from the jet, which was carrying more than 150 people en route to the island nation of Comoros from Yemen's capital, Sanaa.

A reconnaissance plane spotted traces of the jet in waters off the town of Mitsamiouli, Comoros Vice President Idi Nadhoim said Tuesday.

"There were no sign of survivors," he said before the child was found. "There are a few bodies floating and there is a lot of debris floating around."

The crash took place as the plane approached the Hahaya airport in Moroni. The plane tried but failed to land and then performed a U-turn before it crashed, Nadhoim said. Officials did not know why the plane could not land, he said. Recent plane crashes ยป

There were 142 passengers and 11 crew members aboard, Yemenia Air officials said.

Nadhoim offered another figure, saying there were 147 passengers.

Flight 626 left Sanaa at 9:30 p.m. (1830 GMT) for what was expected to be a four-and-a-half-hour flight. The airline has three regular flights a week to Moroni, off the east coast of Africa, about 2,900 km (1,800 miles) south of Yemen.

The crash occurred about 1:30 a.m., Nadhoim said.

Most of the passengers aboard the Airbus A310 were Comorans, an official at Sanaa's international airport told CNN.

An official at Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris said there were also 66 French passengers aboard.

There was no indication of foul play behind the crash, the official in Yemen said.

Yemenia Air had used the jet since 1999, on about 17,300 flights, Airbus officials said. The company said it would assist in investigating the crash.

"The concerns and sympathy of the Airbus employees go to the families, friends and loved ones affected by the accident," the company said in a statement.

The crash was the second involving an Airbus jet in a month. On June 1, an Air France Airbus A330 crashed off Brazil while en route from Rio de Janeiro to Paris, France. All 228 aboard are presumed dead. The cause remains under investigation.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Come to think of it, there was another crash in the Indian Ocean with survivors like a decade ago... I think the plane had been hijacked by a bunch of crazy negroes and crashed right off a beach.

DisturbedPervert

It was the same island as this crash.  The other one has videos on youtube.

Cecil

Yemenite airliner aye? Means this must have been a very well maintained plane then. <_<

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2009, 11:01:31 AM
Quote from: Caliga on June 30, 2009, 05:35:49 AM
In other news, God now hates the French. :menace:

He is merely calling his chosen people home :frog:

And His voice for the call is Airbus. :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2009, 02:22:05 PM
I think I'll take the Boeing next time I fly somewhere.
Good luck.  Airbuses are everywhere now.  My blood boils every time I board a Delta flight and find myself sitting in an A320 or whatever.

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on June 30, 2009, 02:43:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2009, 02:22:05 PM
I think I'll take the Boeing next time I fly somewhere.
Good luck.  Airbuses are everywhere now.  My blood boils every time I board a Delta flight and find myself sitting in an A320 or whatever.

Is that because the cabin pressurization fails at 35,000 feet?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Caliga

DGuller