47% of Americans could not find the money to pay for a $400 emergency

Started by jimmy olsen, April 20, 2016, 05:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Jesus Christ! :o

No wonder so many people are voting for Trump and Sanders.

Very log article on the economic decline of the bottom 60% of America, which began as far back as the 80s.
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/05/my-secret-shame/476415/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Hey, looks like the forecast is calling for mostly tough shit with an 80% chance of who gives a fuck.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 20, 2016, 06:04:54 AM
Hey, looks like the forecast is calling for mostly tough shit with an 80% chance of who gives a fuck.

I bet a bunch of them would come up with $400 if there was a massively discounted bigscreen plasma TV selling for $400.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on April 20, 2016, 08:20:04 AM
I bet a bunch of them would come up with $400 if there was a massively discounted bigscreen plasma TV selling for $400.

The article is about the unexpected costs related to unforeseen emergencies.  Everybody knows when Black Friday is.

Brazen

You can put a TV on a credit card. Your average neighbourhood plumber called out in the middle of the night would not be so accommodating.

Interestingly UK debt adviser Martin Lewis* suggests paying debt off before anything else, whereas the US one Dave Ramsey suggests saving $1,000 first.

* He says "Those with debts AND savings are seriously overspending but the solution is simple. Pay the debts off before you save and maybe even your mortgage. Forget the old 'must have an emergency savings fund' logic as getting rid of debts beats that too." I can't help thinking that that might lead to going further in debt when said emergency hits.

Valmy

The $1,000 emergency fund has kept the pressure off our credit cards more than once. I know Ramsey gets flak for his investment advice but his way of thinking is pretty important for establishing yourself economically in this country. Most of my financial success happened after I took a class based on his ideas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Brazen on April 20, 2016, 08:50:50 AM
I can't help thinking that that might lead to going further in debt when said emergency hits.

Yeah, having 1-2k as "just in case" savings keeps that same one or two K off the credit cards you've been working so hard to pay off. 

crazy canuck

Its a bit of an odd article.  Its spends a great deal of time blaming Americans for not saving enough because of reliance on credit.  The article blames easy access to credit, lack of interest rate regulation, and people being generally stupid.  Income stagnation is mentioned but the article doesn't do a very good job making the link between the fact that people need to rely on credit because their incomes have not kept up with increases in expenses.

The drop in net worth, in just the last decade or so, is staggering.

Eddie Teach

Really depends if keeping the money in savings can psychologically push you into spending less. Otherwise, you're better off paying down the card and not adding as much interest.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2016, 09:17:48 AM
Really depends if keeping the money in savings can psychologically push you into spending less. Otherwise, you're better off paying down the card and not adding as much interest.

I think that is the point.  When people start looking at credit as the equivalent of available savings the theory that one should pay down credit first results in never accumulating savings and always relying on credit.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2016, 09:17:48 AM

The psychological tool to push you into spending less is using cash for everything. Studies show you spend 18-20% less when you use dead Presidents...and Hamilton...to pay for stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Neat!  I always have about 100 bucks stashed away in case of emergencies.

EDIT:  That was suppose to read "900 bucks"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fate

Another problem is that 75% of Americans are impatient and inappropriately go to the ER for problems that are less expensively and more effectively handled as an outpatient with a primary care doctor or an urgent care center.

Go to the ER when you're about to die. Everything else is better treated elsewhere. ERs are the most expensive kind of medicine there is and is not necessary in the vast majority of cases.