9-year-old reporter breaks crime news, posts videos, fires back at critics

Started by jimmy olsen, April 06, 2016, 02:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 07, 2016, 05:07:46 AM
When I was a kid I had this idea for maybe 3 or 4 months of creating a library-like catalogue of every astronomical object. I guess in retrospect it sounds pretty autistic.  :hmm:

Well it's clear you never showed interest in medicine, or you would keep misusing that word.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Classic languish thread:  75+% of posters slam the kid until they find out that what she does is typical of the gifted, and suddenly they used to the the exact same thing at her age!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

I didn't see many people slamming the kid but your mileage may vary.

Also I've yet to see evidence that she is gifted. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

My dad worked in newspapers.  I remember him one day (this was the early 80s, before computers took everything over) a bunch of mock-ups and printed out stories and we played around at laying out the newspaper for the next day.

Much later on he did get me a couple of jobs at the paper, including one where I did streeters - I would interview a person on the street about the topic of the day.  But I was in university, so not really the same as this kid.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 06, 2016, 07:56:35 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 06, 2016, 07:42:20 PM
Obviously you haven't read the anime thread.  Or you think I think watching anime is good for my wallet  :P

Anime is not fun, so he wouldn't have considered it before making his statement. :contract:

Beyond which, I wouldn't touch he anime thread with a 10 foot pole.

lustindarkness

Quote from: dps on April 07, 2016, 03:26:08 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 06, 2016, 07:56:35 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 06, 2016, 07:42:20 PM
Obviously you haven't read the anime thread.  Or you think I think watching anime is good for my wallet  :P

Anime is not fun, so he wouldn't have considered it before making his statement. :contract:

Beyond which, I wouldn't touch he anime thread with a 10 foot pole.

That is one of the threads on this forum I have never clicked.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 07, 2016, 06:48:34 AM
You think Mom still has her copy? You could add it to your resumé.

Better yet, I can wrap it around a brick and shove it up your refried beaner ass.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 07, 2016, 01:41:05 PM
Classic languish thread:  75+% of posters slam the kid until they find out that what she does is typical of the gifted, and suddenly they used to the the exact same thing at her age!  :lol:

She needs to learn the pain of disappointment, and that right quick.

Jaron

This girl at 9 years old is everything Tim has tried to be in his ~13 years on Languish. :(
Winner of THE grumbler point.

lustindarkness

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 07, 2016, 06:39:29 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on April 07, 2016, 06:48:34 AM
You think Mom still has her copy? You could add it to your resumé.

Better yet, I can wrap it around a brick and shove it up your refried beaner ass.

Man I missed you. :hug:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Phillip V

The New York Times has now covered the story, including links to the actual Orange Street News website.

https://orangestreetnews.com/

It is actually consistently updated, so the hobby is not some fad of the girl, and I doubt there are any other news sources devoted to the town.  The NYT article states her paid print readership is 200, which far surpasses CdM's one-time effort.  The girl and her 12-year-old sister (a minor paid columnist among other things) are homeschooled, so that also explains why they have freedom and creativity that have not been crushed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/09/us/journalist-9-responds-to-her-critics-and-becomes-a-media-star.html

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on April 08, 2016, 05:38:29 PM
The NYT article states her paid print readership is 200, which far surpasses CdM's one-time effort.

Something something market forces.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on April 07, 2016, 08:35:30 AM
When I was young, I built guns shooting projectiles out of anything I had at my disposal, and was executing chess pieces with them.  :)
I used to build pipe bombs. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

This is possibly the best thread we have had on Languish in weeks if not days.  :lol: