9-year-old reporter breaks crime news, posts videos, fires back at critics

Started by jimmy olsen, April 06, 2016, 02:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2016, 07:14:46 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 06, 2016, 10:20:51 AM
I'm inspired.  :bowler:

When I was around 10, all jazzed up about the election news coverage, I had decided I would start my own newspaper out of my bedroom, although more of a news weekly than a daily.

Took a wooden crate, turned it upside down and it became the News Desk. 
Collected a few miscellaneous office supplies and, with just a legal pad and a box of carbon paper, I began the Ryan Weeklytm.
Put together a few pieces...police news from Dad's department...some neighborhood stuff...fluff pieces about the dogs...AP stringers on Election '80, you know, because that's what small papers with limited staff do...using pencil, I meticulously put together several copies, printing deep enough for the carbon paper until my hand was numb.  I wanted it to look more like a gazette than a broadsheet, so I stapled the pages down the center.  Worked my ass off all day Saturday, making those copies for the DEBUT SUNDAY EDITION.

Sunday morning, went straight to the kitchen table, and sold my first copy to my mother for 25 cents.  Went to sell a copy to Dad, who said, "Nah, I'll just read your mother's copy."  Lesson: motherfucking learned. 

Fuck this little shit.  Fuck her in the fucking ear.

Don't hate just because the internet lets her reach a larger audience than you could.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

When I was around 10, all jazzed up about the election news coverage, I had decided I would start my own newspaper out of my bedroom, although more of a news weekly than a daily.

Collected a few miscellaneous office supplies and, with just a legal pad and a box of carbon paper, I began the Ryan Weeklytm.
Put together a few pieces...police news from Dad's department...some neighborhood stuff...fluff pieces about the dogs...AP stringers on Election '80, you know, because that's what small papers with limited staff do...using pencil, I meticulously put together several copies, printing deep enough for the carbon paper until my hand was numb.  I wanted it to look more like a gazette than a broadsheet, so I stapled the pages down the center.  Worked my ass off all day Saturday, making those copies for the DEBUT SUNDAY EDITION.

Sunday morning, went straight to the kitchen table, and sold my first copy to my mother for 25 cents.  Went to sell a copy to Dad, who said, "Nah, I'll just read your mother's copy."  Lesson: motherfucking learned. 

Like a scene from a good Woody Alan film, but better.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 06, 2016, 07:44:28 PM
Don't hate just because the internet lets her reach a larger audience than you could.

You mean, the same internet that lets you reach a larger audience as well?  Not exactly a ringing endorsement, shitbag.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on April 06, 2016, 07:42:20 PM
Obviously you haven't read the anime thread.  Or you think I think watching anime is good for my wallet  :P

Anime is not fun, so he wouldn't have considered it before making his statement. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grinning_Colossus

Gifted kids should be allowed to be shiftless layabouts like all the other children. Don't force them to be reporters or girl detectives. Let them only eat the marshmallows in their Lucky Charms, skip their homework, and stay up until midnight rotting their brains on tablet games. That's what I did.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Phillip V

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 06, 2016, 08:03:15 PM
Gifted kids should be allowed to be shiftless layabouts like all the other children. Don't force them to be reporters or girl detectives. Let them only eat the marshmallows in their Lucky Charms, skip their homework, and stay up until midnight rotting their brains on tablet games. That's what I did.

There's no forcing.

Razgovory

Huh.  When I was about 10 I tried to classify all the animals living in the area.  Bats, bugs, snakes, you name it. I remember finding an injured bat and looking through a ton of animal books to find out what kind of bat it was.  My dad solved that by squishing it.  Weirdest animal:  An enormous snapping turtle was just sitting in this old ladies yard.  No lakes or streams or creeks or rivers nearby.  No idea how it got there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

Quote from: Razgovory on April 07, 2016, 01:39:42 AM
Huh.  When I was about 10 I tried to classify all the animals living in the area.  Bats, bugs, snakes, you name it. I remember finding an injured bat and looking through a ton of animal books to find out what kind of bat it was.  My dad solved that by squishing it.  Weirdest animal:  An enormous snapping turtle was just sitting in this old ladies yard.  No lakes or streams or creeks or rivers nearby.  No idea how it got there.

I wish I still had some of the crazy crap I created or compiled when I was kid.  Here is one of the few things that survived from while I was in my "living in the woods" dream phase around age 10.  Never have drawn anything as detailed since then.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Phillip V on April 06, 2016, 11:18:21 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 06, 2016, 08:03:15 PM

There's no forcing.

I think his tongue was in his cheek.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

When I was a kid I had this idea for maybe 3 or 4 months of creating a library-like catalogue of every astronomical object. I guess in retrospect it sounds pretty autistic.  :hmm:

garbon

I had an encyclopedia like creation of keeping information on dinosaurs. One day I was really upset as the library books had to be returned the next day and I hadn't yet copied all of the information I wanted. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

You think Mom still has her copy? You could add it to your resumé.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

When I was young, I built guns shooting projectiles out of anything I had at my disposal, and was executing chess pieces with them.  :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on April 07, 2016, 08:35:30 AM
When I was young, I built guns shooting projectiles out of anything I had at my disposal, and was executing chess pieces with them.  :)

Have you kept your armament skills current?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?