News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So Is Alt-Right a thing?

Started by Razgovory, April 07, 2016, 04:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Lately, I've been hearing the term "alt-right" used a bit.  It's being used by somewhat reputable papers like the National Review.  http://www.nationalreview.com/article/433650/alt-rights-racism-moral-rot  They don't paint a pretty picture.  Left-wing publications are much less charitable.

There is a wiki article on the concept, which seems like such a weird grab-bag that it's hard to take seriously.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right  Monarchism?  Gamersgate?  That's a bit hard to swallow.  Admittedly some of the articles that the Wikipedia entry cites do mention things like Monarchism(!), but it's a bit difficult to take seriously.  Naturally the more mainstream right-wingers blame the left for all this, but then the Weekly Standard blames the left for pretty much everything.

So is this really some kind of political identification or movement? 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grinning_Colossus

From what I understand, they don't like the ascendancy of 'classical liberalism' on the mainstream right and think that we should re-embrace the virtues of authoritarianism and homogeneity. Here's a fairly objective writeup: http://slatestarcodex.com/2013/03/03/reactionary-philosophy-in-an-enormous-planet-sized-nutshell/
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Barrister

I don't know if it's a "thing", so much as trying to identify and label what Trump is tapping into.  Trump mostly isn't left-wing, but he's so very different from the traditional GOP positions that some have attempted to label it.  I guess "alt-right" is what is being settled on.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Well I feel stupid, I meant to link the wiki article that I was skeptical of, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2016, 04:33:32 PM
I don't know if it's a "thing", so much as trying to identify and label what Trump is tapping into.  Trump mostly isn't left-wing, but he's so very different from the traditional GOP positions that some have attempted to label it.  I guess "alt-right" is what is being settled on

You think all this started with Trump? Where have you been the past seven or eight years? That article GC posted is from 2013 for example.

You have to stop assuming the American Right wing is like the Canadian conservatives.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Tried it on my keyboard.  Nothing happened, so I don't think it's a thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2016, 07:53:20 PM

It is page forward so you need to page back first. Then it will do something. Try it and see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Wow.  It totally is a thing.  And I think I'm part of the movement!  :menace:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2016, 07:56:39 PM
Wow.  It totally is a thing.  And I think I'm part of the movement!  :menace:

My great uncle Benedict was a zoo keeper in the 1920's.  Devoured by a lion, he was and became part of a movement of sorts.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2016, 07:56:39 PM
Wow.  It totally is a thing.

-_-

QuoteAnd I think I'm part of the movement!  :menace:

I feel like I helped somebody find their place in the world today :cry:

Eddie Teach

QuoteYou know, if one person, just one person, does it, they may think he's
Really sick and they won't take him.

And if two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both faggots and
They won't take either of them.

And if three people do it! Can you imagine three people walkin' in, singin'
A bar of "Alice's Restaurant" and walkin' out? They may think it's an
Organization!

And can you imagine fifty people a day? I said FIFTY people a day . . .
Walkin' in, singin' a bar of "Alice's Restaurant" and walkin' out? Friends,
They may think it's a MOVEMENT, and that's what it is: THE ALICE'S
RESTAURANT ANTI-MASSACREE MOVEMENT! . . . and all you gotta do to join is to
Sing it the next time it comes around on the guitar.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2016, 07:53:20 PM

I bet you'd fucking find it if it was wearing a hoodie and holding a bag of Skittles, Der La Beckwith.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 07, 2016, 07:39:00 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 07, 2016, 04:33:32 PM
I don't know if it's a "thing", so much as trying to identify and label what Trump is tapping into.  Trump mostly isn't left-wing, but he's so very different from the traditional GOP positions that some have attempted to label it.  I guess "alt-right" is what is being settled on

You think all this started with Trump? Where have you been the past seven or eight years? That article GC posted is from 2013 for example.

You have to stop assuming the American Right wing is like the Canadian conservatives.

Why on earth would I ever assume the American right wing is like the Canadian Conservatives?  They're very different beasts.

For starters, Canadian Conservatives use the traditional conservative colour - blue. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I imagine being a monarchist in Canada doesn't automatically mean you are insane.  I've read a libertarian tract on why the US should have a monarchy, but I expect lunacy from them.  Actually, some of the less appealing things spouted by libertarians are reflected in some of the "alt-right" ideas.