Weird, strange, bizarre and/or creepy tv shows of your childhood?

Started by Martinus, April 06, 2016, 02:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Had a childhood flashback today to a bizarre French animated show called "Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea" ("Les Mondes Engloutis"). It was utterly weird but I loved it. Anything like this in your childhood?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

'The Flashing Blade' - 'Le Chevalier Tempête'

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chevalier_Tempête

Odd subject for a kids adventure series, but given it was set in something like the Thirties Years' War, it's no doubt Languish approved.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Davey and Goliath. Weird Lutheran Christian stop-motion animation. Just as much fun as that sounds.  ;)

http://www.daveyandgoliath.org/

This used to play all the time. I hated it, but there was often nothing else on at certain times. It was - almost - enough to get me to stop rotting my brain watching TV Sunday mornings, and go do something constructive - it was that dire.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Space Giants

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

Had the guy from Blake's 7:

creepy theme music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V6dSNlh0_k&nohtml5=False

Josquius

I used to love Monkey!
Now that is an odd show. Paticularly back when exposure to the east was so limited.
Probably a key early piece of my becoming interested in east asia.

Oh.  And Candle Cove of course :ph34r: :ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on April 06, 2016, 03:12:55 PM

'The Flashing Blade' - 'Le Chevalier Tempête'

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chevalier_Tempête

Odd subject for a kids adventure series, but given it was set in something like the Thirties Years' War, it's no doubt Languish approved.

Actually, not so much, it's the Three Musketeers era, the hero seems to have participated in the La Rochelle siege. Dumas has always been popular with kids.
Thanks for the heads up on the show, some '60s ORTF gem you got there. :)

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 06, 2016, 04:02:16 PM

Actually, not so much, it's the Three Musketeers era, the hero seems to have participated in the La Rochelle siege. Dumas has always been popular with kids.
Thanks for the heads up on the show, some '60s ORTF gem you got there. :)

I also recall one about a Mirage III fighter squadron set in France, but with bits of former colonies featuring in some episodes.

Oh and a French puppet show involving a bloodhound and a frog, that was dubbed over here and titled as 'Hector's House'
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

The Smurfs was pretty weird. 100 males living with their "papa" and no sign of a female until their enemy creates one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on April 06, 2016, 04:29:41 PM
I also recall one about a Mirage III fighter squadron set in France, but with bits of former colonies featuring in some episodes.

Oh and a French puppet show involving a bloodhound and a frog, that was dubbed over here and titled as 'Hector's House'

Les Chevaliers du Ciel I think. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061230
This one is very famous, it was even remade twice, as a feature film the last time, in 2005.

QuoteOh and a French puppet show involving a bloodhound and a frog, that was dubbed over here and titled as 'Hector's House'

Really obscure, at least for my generation  :P, la Maison de Toutou according to IMDB. Never watched or even heard of it.

As for me, re-runs of The Twilight Zone or of The Prisoner in the '80s were more than to creep me out (The Rover!). These last two got some brilliant transfers on blu-ray.

PS: Les Mondes Engloutis is well-known among thirty-somethings but I never really liked it, not that it was too creepy, but I was never really hooked. I would watch it while waiting for another cartoon though.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 06, 2016, 06:05:57 PM
The Smurfs was pretty weird. 100 males living with their "papa" and no sign of a female until their enemy creates one.

And oddly that is only where the weirdness began. You are right, a very strange show. But I guess I thought Marty was asking me for obscure stuff. I don't recall anything really obscure I enjoyed as a kid.

I felt really weird, as a kid, that I always watched the Bob Ross painting, the Joy of Painting, show on PBS. Like every time it came on. Even though I did not even really care about art. I never told my friends or anybody about this because I thought it was weird to be watching it all the time. But it turns out EVERYBODY was watching this show. People who could not have been alive when the show was going love this show.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grinning_Colossus

Yeah, I remember being a kid and flipping to PBS hoping that Sesame Street or Mr. Rodgers or 3-2-1 Contact would be on, but nope, just Bob Ross painting his happy trees. It was oddly hypnotic.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.