News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dune being adapted again

Started by Queequeg, June 29, 2009, 11:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

He chooses the "boy who looks like Paul" to have sex with.  And presumably do something....bad with beyond sex.  That is pretty cackling.  Not just that but he ends up basically killing Alia. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2009, 09:13:11 AM
Unless the movie is going to be 8 hours long I do not see how they could make a decent film of that book.

If it's going to be based on Dune I can't see how they could make a decent movie out of it either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Queequeg on June 30, 2009, 12:05:01 AM
I always thought that Leto I was as upstanding a character as you find in the Universe, even if he seems a bit blind to his betrayal by Huey and the trap set by the Emperor.   Also, while the Fremen certainly aren't the good guys, they seem admirable. 
Never read the book, so I don't know.
Don't quite remember the recent tv-series either.
But having seen the old movie not long ago, Leto comments that the Emperor is setting a trap for him, but he feels he has no choice but to walk in it, and hopefully avoid the trap as he knows of it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

Quote from: Queequeg on June 30, 2009, 02:11:52 PM
He chooses the "boy who looks like Paul" to have sex with.  And presumably do something....bad with beyond sex.  That is pretty cackling.  Not just that but he ends up basically killing Alia.

Baron is a notorious kiddie-peddler, but nowhere is it forbidden the Imperium, especially among the Siridar caste. It is Evil for us, but it is at a minimum ambiguous in their system of morals.

And you mean Alia basically killed him. Whatever his "memory ghost" did afterwards was still in the mindframe of Kanli, getting revenge on the whole Atreides, and it was due to Alia's own weaknesses as an abomination.

Alia chose to listen to him, among all voices in her head, because he had merits for ruling a huge Empire ruthlessly and efficiently and he was powerful enough, to her, to shush all other voices. She could have listened to any other voice, even her own father's, and the end result, her destruction, would have been inevitable.

grumbler

Quote from: Drakken on June 30, 2009, 02:19:27 PM
Baron is a notorious kiddie-peddler, but nowhere is it forbidden the Imperium, especially among the Siridar caste. It is Evil for us, but it is at a minimum ambiguous in their system of morals.
Not sure what your point is, here.  The morals of the Imperium are completely fictional, so we judge whether or not he was "evil" by our own standards.  The Baron (and his whole family) casually did "evil" things for mere amusement.  I don't see that as ambiguous at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!