News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dune being adapted again

Started by Queequeg, June 29, 2009, 11:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

My picks:

Leto Atreides: Tom Cruise
Paul Atreides: Brad Pitt
Padishah Emperor: Harrison Ford
Stilgar: Russell Crowe
Duncan Idaho: Daniel Craig

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 30, 2009, 12:13:40 AM
Duncan fills that role of "as upstanding a character as you find;" Leto views his status as a kind of acting role that he has to play. With Leto, he can be pretty vicious, but it's all about playing the role with him- he sees the House aristocracy as a set of characters to be portrayed, and he's blind to the betrayal because it "breaks character" for Huey and Shaddam; notice he has no problems with absorbing Vladimir Harkonnen's role in the trap.
Everybody in the book has a "role they must fulfill whether they will or no;" it is the letmotif of the books.  Leto discovers that his strength is in ensuring the lasting loyalty and effectiveness of his subordinates by treating them well and instilling esprit de corps.  While you may argue that this is all a sham, there is no evidence of it in the books, as far as I know.

He is blind to Yueh's treachery because he "knows" Yueh cannot betray him (and, in fact, the method Herbert had the baddies use to overcome the "Imperial Conditioning" was so pedestrian that one would wonder why anyone believed in IC at all).  He isn't blind to the Emperor's role at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 30, 2009, 12:03:31 AM
Meh. IMO, they all fall short because Hollywood's got this obnoxious fixation on making there be "The Good Guys" and "The Bad Guys." The Dune books (the original Frank Herberts, anyway) were awesome in the way there were no good guys (with a possible exception for Duncan Idaho). The Atreides, Harkonnen, and Corrin Houses all wanted Arrakis simply for the leverage. Hell, Muad'Dib even despises himself as a lab rat of the Bene Gesserit.

I tend to dislike the adaptations because the book's supposed to be morally ambiguous, but that'll never make it onto the screen.
I dunno, the Attredis seemed quite clearly to be good guys to me and the Harkonen clearly the baddest of the bad.

I don' think Dune gets too ambiguous until Paul is going off and jihading around the galaxy.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Unless the movie is going to be 8 hours long I do not see how they could make a decent film of that book.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on June 30, 2009, 09:12:57 AM
Where is Paul Atriedes?
He had health problems and we fear the worst. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

starbright

The original movie was unwatchable. But the sci-fi version was pretty good.

It would have been great if they could have combined the good actors from both parts.

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2009, 09:31:02 AM
Where is Paul Atriedes?

Wow--when did this happen, and what were his problems? I guess no one has an email address or other way to get in contact.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

I find this adaption the most interesting.  :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8124687.stm

QuoteUnmasking the mysterious 7/7 conspiracy theorist

In the absence of a public inquiry into the 7 July bombings, conspiracy theories have filled the vacuum. One of the more inflammatory involves a man hiding behind an Arabic-sounding pseudonym taken from a sci-fi film starring Sting, says the BBC's Mike Rudin.

The 56-minute homemade documentary opens with a view from space and the words: "A message from Muad Dib".

What follows is a stream of allegations about the 2005 bomb attack on London. The film, entitled 7/7 Ripple Effect, accuses former prime minister Tony Blair, the government, the police and the British and Israeli security service of murdering the innocent people who died that day, in order to shore up support for the "war on terror".

The video has become an internet hit, hailed by conspiracy theorists and picked up by some Muslims in the UK as evidence that the official account of what happened that day is untrue.

The official version says four British Muslims blew themselves up in the UK's first suicide attacks, murdering 52 people and injuring 784 others.

But it took nearly a year for the official account to be published, and much of the evidence, such as CCTV and photographs, only came out slowly afterwards.

In that atmosphere conspiracy theories have flourished. A host of internet films now claim the government account is a deception.

7/7 Ripple Effect, released two years after the attacks, goes much further than just posing questions.

The narrator alleges the four men blamed for the bombings were in fact fall guys in a government plot to win support for the war on terror; they were tricked into travelling to London with rucksacks on that day.

CCTV that shows them arriving in London was supposedly just to incriminate them. The film claims that they were not on the trains that blew up.

It's alleged the three men blamed for the Tube bombings were in fact murdered by police at Canary Wharf, after government agents set off pre-planted explosives to frame them.

'Unbelievable' coincidence

Muad Dib's conspiracy video has been picked up and held up as truth. A copy of his film was sent to a survivor of the attacks and to the Chairman of the Birmingham Central Mosque, Dr Mohammed Naseem.

He has long harboured doubts about the government account. "The Ripple Effect is more convincing than the government statement," he says.

Dr Naseem made 2,000 copies of 7/7 Ripple Effect for the mosque. At Friday prayers he asked the congregation to raise their hands if they did not accept the government version - nearly the entire gathering did.

Muad Dib hangs much of his conspiracy theory on the fact that on 7 July 2005, there was a mock exercise preparing for a possible terror attack on the London underground, with a very similar scenario to what happened - three London stations. This he describes as "an unbelievable set of circumstances".

But Peter Power, a former Scotland Yard police officer, says on 7 July, the exercise he ran was office-based and involved just six people from a publishing company.

That has not stopped him receiving hate mail from anonymous sceptics accusing him of "murder" and threatening "justice" with "no mercy".

Muad Dib did not send Peter Power a copy of 7/7 Ripple Effect, but when it was showed it to him, he found it "quite menacing [and] quite worrying".

He has now passed the DVD and the threatening e-mails to the Metropolitan Police. But Mr Power was frustrated because of the difficulty of prosecuting someone who hides behind a cloak of anonymity.

Dune clips

The Conspiracy Files 7/7, a BBC documentary, tracked Muad Dib down, eventually finding him in the small town of Kells in Ireland. He is in fact John Hill, from Sheffield.

His alias, Muad Dib, is a fictional character in the science fiction film Dune, a film starring Sting and Kyle MacLachlan about inter-galactic freedom fighting, from which he seems to draw inspiration.

Clips from the film - including the quote "The sleeper must awaken" - appear in 7/7 Ripple Effect.

Frank Herbert's series of Dune novels use Islamic concepts like "jihad" and other terms based on Arabic.

A document on Muad Dib's website reveals he believes he is the Messiah and that George Lucas wrote Star Wars after being told telepathically what to write, by the very "Force" to which the films refer.

John Hill has now been arrested and is facing extradition to the UK on a charge of perverting the course of justice for sending DVDs of 7/7 Ripple Effect to the judge and jury foreman in a trial linked to the attacks.

This hasn't stopped his film. Alex Jones, who runs an internet site and a US radio show devoted to conspiracy theories, claims that 7/7 Ripple Effect has been "just exploding all over the web" since Hills' arrest.

There have been two official reports into the bombing by the Intelligence and Security Committee. The government has always resisted calls for an independent public inquiry, and has decided not to actively counter conspiracy theories.

But there is concern that conspiracy theories are divisive and could alienate Muslims from the authorities. The former Metropolitan Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner, Brian Paddick, says action is needed to prevent further atrocities.

"Hopefully there will be people in the police service, the security service and in government who will realise how important conspiracy theories are. And how important it is... that every attempt is made to try and counteract them."

Rachel North, a survivor of the 7 July bombings, is troubled by the acceptance of conspiracy theories.

"If people in mosques think that the government is so antagonistic towards them that they're actually willing to frame them for a monstrous crime they didn't commit, what does that do to levels of trust? That is a problem for the government and for everybody in this country."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Ian McKellan as the good mentat.
John Malkovich as the evil mentat.
Jonathan Rhys-Davies as Sting.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2009, 09:31:02 AM
Where is Paul Atriedes?

Probably back in jail.  The world is better off with out that cyclops kiddie fucker.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

BuddhaRhubarb

hmmm I just bought an old flea market dogeared copy of Dune (just the first book) as I feel like re-reading it soon. Haven't read it since I was in High School.
:p

Darth Wagtaros

the Sci Fi channel adaptation was pretty good. 
PDH!

Drakken

Quote from: Tyr on June 30, 2009, 08:19:41 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 30, 2009, 12:03:31 AM
Meh. IMO, they all fall short because Hollywood's got this obnoxious fixation on making there be "The Good Guys" and "The Bad Guys." The Dune books (the original Frank Herberts, anyway) were awesome in the way there were no good guys (with a possible exception for Duncan Idaho). The Atreides, Harkonnen, and Corrin Houses all wanted Arrakis simply for the leverage. Hell, Muad'Dib even despises himself as a lab rat of the Bene Gesserit.

I tend to dislike the adaptations because the book's supposed to be morally ambiguous, but that'll never make it onto the screen.
I dunno, the Attredis seemed quite clearly to be good guys to me and the Harkonen clearly the baddest of the bad.

I disagree here. Even the Baron is morally ambiguous, but on the other side of the coin. To me he read more like your typical Machavellian schemer and indulging lecher than "evil". Sure, he didn't save lives like Leto did and blatantly used people as tools, but so did the Atreides but using a more fanciful language a more "rewardly" approach.

However, nowhere in the books do you see the Baron as blatantly cackling evil as in Lynch's movie. Oddly, for someone as cynical as the Vladimir Harkonnen, his vandetta toward the Atreidies still followed the old tradition of Kanli.