News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sheep's head cooking

Started by merithyn, April 04, 2016, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Yeah, OK, so it's a lamb going to slaughter. I get that. Doesn't mean you have to treat it like Jimmy fucking Hoffa.  Goddamn.  #LambchopSleepsWithDaFishes

LaCroix

Quote from: merithyn on April 04, 2016, 09:02:34 PMWaste not want not. :)

but everyone wastes a little. eating the nasty bits nobody ever eats simply to not waste. where does it stop? mcdonald ketchup packets rather than waste $ on the bottle?

I bet the non (comparatively) impoverished cavemen tossed away some parts

Barrister

Quote from: LaCroix on April 04, 2016, 09:21:07 PM
I bet the non (comparatively) impoverished cavemen tossed away some parts

Umm, hunter/gatherers invariably use every last bit of an animal.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Chinese love eating fish heads.  It is said that the meat in those parts is the most tender.  Never heard of eating sheeps head. 

LaCroix

Quote from: Barrister on April 04, 2016, 09:48:00 PMUmm, hunter/gatherers invariably use every last bit of an animal.

all cavemen, no matter how well off the cave, used every morsel and bit of animal, every single time?

how do you know?

Eddie Teach

Feed the nasty bits to the pigs/dogs/whatever.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 04, 2016, 10:01:29 PM

that falls under tossed away

sbr

Quote from: LaCroix on April 04, 2016, 10:02:38 PM

Not necessarily.  If you have to feed the pigs/dogs/whatever and would have to expend energy to find them something else to eat, feeding them bits of a leftover animal is using it productively.

CountDeMoney

How about waiting for shit to grow up first before killing it and chopping its fucking head off for a soup bone. Goddamn.

PDH

Actually, I would not be surprised if foragers didn't eat every part of an animal - with a low population and good methods to gather resources they likely had surpluses at times, thus the domestication of dogs.

Now farmers, they HAD to use everything because often time they were closer to the edge of starvation.  Also, blood sausage needs a cookpot after all.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Barrister

Quote from: PDH on April 04, 2016, 10:17:19 PM
Actually, I would not be surprised if foragers didn't eat every part of an animal - with a low population and good methods to gather resources they likely had surpluses at times, thus the domestication of dogs.

Now farmers, they HAD to use everything because often time they were closer to the edge of starvation.  Also, blood sausage needs a cookpot after all.

I know you are a might PhD, while all I have is a lowly LL.B. and B.Sc., but I didn't say hunter-gatherers "eat" every part of an animal - I said they "use" every part of an animal.  And feeding dogs certainly counts as "use".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: sbr on April 04, 2016, 10:10:17 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on April 04, 2016, 10:02:38 PM

Not necessarily.  If you have to feed the pigs/dogs/whatever and would have to expend energy to find them something else to eat, feeding them bits of a leftover animal is using it productively.

Messrs Creutzfeldt and Jakob send their regards.

garbon

Anyway, is it a waste? Presumably it'll decompose and become something else.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

The traditional Welsh dish Cawl was originally made from sheep's head. You need to marinade it in salt water for a day beforehand.

Here's a Moroccan recipe that looks tasty:
http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/moroccanoffalrecipes/r/steamed_sheep_head.htm