Main Menu

Panama Papers

Started by Zanza, April 03, 2016, 03:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 05, 2016, 05:06:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2016, 10:36:49 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2016, 10:33:28 AM
Modern sensitivities to abuse do have a certain self-perpetuating quality - as long as the asshole trolls know what berserk buttons to push to get their victims to totally freak out, they will keep pushing them - as long as they are protected by cowardly anonymity.

Which is why I believe our anonymity is going to be a thing of the past soon. Which would be sad as I would never post here if it could be tracked back to my real name. It is not that I am saying super controversial things but I wouldn't like it if somebody could search my name and discover my views on abortion or the fact I support Clinton.

One of the reasons I never donate money to political causes or campaigns. Some future would-be employer might see that and decide I'd be a bad fit or something. I can see the value in full disclosure, but there is definitely a drawback too.

Once again, this is a truly bizarre line of reasoning. Why would you want to work for someone who would hate you if he knew who you are? I mean I don't know what you do for your living exactly, but I assume you can find at least several employers who are looking for people like you. Surely, not all of them would dislike your political leanings.

It must be a really sorry state of being to live in such crippling fear.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2016, 12:21:51 AM
Once again, this is a truly bizarre line of reasoning. Why would you want to work for someone who would hate you if he knew who you are? I mean I don't know what you do for your living exactly, but I assume you can find at least several employers who are looking for people like you. Surely, not all of them would dislike your political leanings.

It is not that simple Marty. My views also evolve. I would prefer they not be etched forever in digital stone attached to my name.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2016, 12:57:12 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2016, 12:21:51 AM

It is not that simple Marty. My views also evolve. I would prefer they not be etched forever in digital stone attached to my name.

But it is getting more and more unavoidable - soon you will be like those weirdos in Oregon who refuse to get a driver's license or a social security number because this makes it easier for black helicopters to track them down.

At the same time (and this is something I predicted few years ago already), the backlash against using online information against people is already happening. Consumers are rebelling against media engaging in online witch-hunts, and companies are also realising that, as people become more and more de-sensitivised (?) to stuff other people post on Facebook (and at the same time we are getting to a point where only Mormons and weirdos do not have some sort of embarrassing online past), refusing to hire people because of what they had posted online simply cuts them off from a valuable human resource.

In other words, we are approaching a critical mass where what you post online will not matter again.

Norgy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2016, 05:23:24 PM
So, new elections in Iceland now that the PM has resigned. Pirate party has been leading the polls for two years.

Panama, ahoy?

Martinus

Shouldn't the Icelandic chapter of the Pirate Party be the Viking Party? Or do European nations only come up with cool names for their local offshoots of international political organisations when it comes to Waffen SS?  :cry:

celedhring

I do not post political stuff on Facebook, but that's more due to me wanting to choose when and where I engage in political debates (and Facebook is just not that place) than fear of it being used against me.

Martinus

I am moderately political on Facebook but I control my privacy settings. But then, unlike most people I know, I use Facebook mainly to keep in touch with people I don't see or talk to on a daily basis (say, certain Languishites, as opposed to coworkers and such). My primary use of Facebook in any case is to post pictures of my cat and to subscribe to websites I am interested in.

Maladict

I don't put anything personal on facebook, the only things I post are travel pictures (no people) and the odd article (no politics or social issues).
I do use FB to keep in touch with people, but mainly through private messages.

Martinus

Quote from: Maladict on April 06, 2016, 02:44:51 AM
I don't put anything personal on facebook, the only things I post are travel pictures (no people) and the odd article (no politics or social issues).

Yeah but then most of us do not live under a totalitarian dictatorship.

Maladict

Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2016, 02:49:01 AM

True that, sorry. Perhaps when Poland is partitioned again things will get better for you?

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2016, 02:29:13 AM
I am moderately political on Facebook but I control my privacy settings. But then, unlike most people I know, I use Facebook mainly to keep in touch with people I don't see or talk to on a daily basis (say, certain Languishites, as opposed to coworkers and such). My primary use of Facebook in any case is to post pictures of my cat and to subscribe to websites I am interested in.

Same here, use it to keep up with people I don't meet often, or haven't seen in the flesh in years.

Martinus

Quote from: Maladict on April 06, 2016, 02:53:39 AM

True that, sorry. Perhaps when Poland is partitioned again things will get better for you?

Oh Jesus, sorry. I thought I was responding to Mono.  :blush:

Maladict

Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2016, 03:08:23 AM
Quote from: Maladict on April 06, 2016, 02:53:39 AM

Oh Jesus, sorry. I thought I was responding to Mono.  :blush:

:hug: 
Second time I've been compared to Mono  :ph34r:

Archy

Belgium is so small.
A newspaper made a map of Belgium which shows were the "Panama-Belgians" live. Highest number is Antwerp is 93. I suspect in the diamond quarter.
Since Brussels is spread out over 19 communes they off course don't score as high as Antwerp
2 of them live in my village.