And we're back!

Main Menu

Panama Papers

Started by Zanza, April 03, 2016, 03:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Brazen on April 04, 2016, 09:03:03 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2016, 08:59:51 AM
Wow. How did you come to game with people like that? That is waaaay outside what is expected in a tabletop session.
The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

The early 80s was culturally and societally far more removed from the present than we remember.

Sometimes, I like to think things have really changed.  That most gamers are mature individuals.  Then I read Bioware's forum asking for nude paid for DLCs, starting threads about the fact there are girls playing Mass Effect and all sort of sillyness like that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on April 04, 2016, 02:02:25 PM
Quote from: Brazen on April 04, 2016, 09:03:03 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2016, 08:59:51 AM
Wow. How did you come to game with people like that? That is waaaay outside what is expected in a tabletop session.
The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

The early 80s was culturally and societally far more removed from the present than we remember.

Sometimes, I like to think things have really changed.  That most gamers are mature individuals.  Then I read Bioware's forum asking for nude paid for DLCs, starting threads about the fact there are girls playing Mass Effect and all sort of sillyness like that.

I think most normal people left Bioware's forums long ago. You will never find a greater hive of scum and villainy. Or not and most gamers are total scum. I mean some of the most prominent streamers and youtubers of Bioware games are women, you would have to live under a rock on Mars to not know they have a very passionate and vocal female fanbase so color me skeptical this is not a troll.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

Quote from: Brazen on April 04, 2016, 07:00:10 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2016, 05:18:48 AM
My definition of centre right includes basing your attitudes on fact and logic, not emotion. An emotional article from some feminist about facing "rampant mysogyny" and "death threats and rape threats" in a roleplaying Call of Cthulhu community sounds incredible at best and fabricated at worst (and likely to be the latter if the Rolling Stone "rape scandal" and gamergate taught us anything) so sharing that on Facebook with an apocalyptic commentary makes you look unhinged, especially combined with your ethusiastic attitudes about Islam.
I'm disappointed in you Marti. I haven't read the original source, but you must have seen evidence that any woman who has a strong opinion on any online channel is at risk of misogyny at best, and rape and death threats at worst. It's a real, frightening and all-too-frequent occurrence. You choosing not to believing this, plus using feminist and emotional as derogatory terms, makes me sad.

Yours truly,

Emotional Feminist

I don't have anything to say really, but i like to support Marty in all his endeavors. Specially against evil feminazis.

Yours truly,

Evil emotional machist

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Machist? Hey I learned a new word today.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Dude, he travels in time and space, let's not annoy him.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2016, 01:58:44 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 04, 2016, 01:57:02 PM
it's not going to matter one bit. the rich will still be able to what they do and the small fry will still be forced to turn over far too much of their earnings to incompetent states.

If you go after the rich they can just leave.
they are far more mobile than us, true.  That is why there is a certain need for an occidental cooperation in this matter.  British, American and Europeans would need to get rid of the special status of some of their territories, or at least agree to waive banking secret for a restricted group of countries upon demand.

Rich people are not going to massively move to Russia because it's a free country.  Heck, if Trumps wants to live there and play bridge with Depardieux every saturday night, by all means, let them do it.  The rich can freely move betwen US, Canada, Europe, but I don't see them renouncing the relative comfort, freedom and security that cities like Toronto, New York, Paris or London have to offer.  Moving from Paris to Bruxelles, no problem.  Moving from New York to London, ok.  Moving from LA to Ryad?  Not a chance.

As much as these people like to travel the world, they need to be close to their businesses and/or interest centers.  Only occidental countries can offer them that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Iormlund

Quote from: Norgy on April 04, 2016, 10:16:13 AM
That's both unfair and a not very subtle dig.
Not reporting assets is, by Norwegian tax law, illegal. And none of the assets DNB handled were ever reported. Ever.
But feel free to gloat. Your profession is what helps these people. So while you may rant and rave about inequality in other matters, you're actually part of the very problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2VxpTMAbas

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2016, 02:22:06 PM
Machist? Hey I learned a new word today.

His Sephardi roots are showing there.

Martinus

I find myself agreeing with Siegy a lot lately.  :hmm:

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2016, 03:01:11 PM
I find myself agreeing with Siegy a lot lately.  :hmm:

Should tell you something, surely.  :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2016, 05:10:55 AM
Looks like even your other friends agree with me.  :lol:

I was your facebook friend, once. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

blog defines terrorist as
Quotean act committed "in whole or in part for a political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause" and with the intention of intimidating the public "...with regard to its security, including its economic security, or compelling a person, a government or a domestic or an international organization to do or to refrain from doing any act."

disagree re: terrorist gamers. most gamers aren't doing it with the intent to cause fear, etc. the rape was rape, not an attempt to prevent women from playing by employing extreme methods. "if it bleeds, it breeds" was a dumb joke at someone's expense.

as well, what public is intimidated? her examples are single, isolated instances of aggression toward a single person. might as well say conservative areas are/were terrorists toward gays. agree with marti that while the things that happened to the author were horrible, this isn't terrorism. it hurts her cause to even call it terrorism; she should know better that people will disregard her point because of her extreme language

Martinus

Quote from: LaCroix on April 04, 2016, 09:39:23 PM
blog defines terrorist as
Quotean act committed "in whole or in part for a political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause" and with the intention of intimidating the public "...with regard to its security, including its economic security, or compelling a person, a government or a domestic or an international organization to do or to refrain from doing any act."

disagree re: terrorist gamers. most gamers aren't doing it with the intent to cause fear, etc. the rape was rape, not an attempt to prevent women from playing by employing extreme methods. "if it bleeds, it breeds" was a dumb joke at someone's expense.

as well, what public is intimidated? her examples are single, isolated instances of aggression toward a single person. might as well say conservative areas are/were terrorists toward gays. agree with marti that while the things that happened to the author were horrible, this isn't terrorism. it hurts her cause to even call it terrorism; she should know better that people will disregard her point because of her extreme language

Yeah, I have been thinking a bit about the article and why I find it so objectionable and I think my biggest problem is that it throws around so many different things but treats them the same to support a thesis. It uses examples of things like online death threats, sexual assault, distasteful jokes and people just being stupid but harmless and paints them all with the same broad brush which it calls "white male terrorism". It muddles the waters and makes it impossible to challenge the points in the article (because if you just say the whole thing seems to be incoherent, emotional and blown out of proportion, you get dubbed a mysogyne who doesn't think rape or death threats are important) - now I have taken a liberty of viewing that person's blog and she seems overall quite disturbed (which, again, doesn't make her account of her personal experiences a lie - but should require the reader to be at least a bit skeptical about at least details if not the whole gist of it) - I just thought that Languish posters are supposed to be more intellectually rigorous than that.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2016, 04:41:12 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2016, 05:10:55 AM
Looks like even your other friends agree with me.  :lol:

I was your facebook friend, once. :(

Like I need you to do the same stuff with my old Facebook posts as you do with my old Languish posts.