News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Good movies about Christ?

Started by Martinus, March 25, 2016, 03:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Grinning_Colossus

All kidding aside, Jesus Christ Superstar is the best Jesus movie ever made. Plus Ted Neeley is reasonably hot.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

The Brain

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on March 26, 2016, 06:38:08 PM
All kidding aside, Jesus Christ Superstar is the best Jesus movie ever made.

It's certainly the best of the ones I've seen.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on March 27, 2016, 03:15:44 AM
All kidding aside, Jesus Christ Superstar is the best Jesus movie ever made.

It's certainly the best of the ones I've seen.

Though I like the music I do find the film is somewhat dated (an odd thing to say about a Jesus film, I know). All the bell bottoms and hippie stuff really sets that movie in 1973.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Funny piece from IMDB re: Jesus Christ Superstar

Tragedy almost struck for real while the Crucifixion was being filmed. The Roman soldier we see nailing Christ to the cross is an Israeli actor who spoke very limited English; consequently, he thought Ted Neeley was actually supposed to have nails hammered through his hands! Just in time, director Norman Jewison saw what was happening and screamed, "NO! NOT IN THE HAND!"
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Martinus

So I watched Mel Gibson's "Passion of Christ" yesterday (will definitely watch the Ewan McGregor movie but I think it is only out in May). Thought it was better than I expected. Certainly some parts were a bit too gory, but otherwise I can see how conservative Christians like it - it was well done cinematically while being very "by the book". My personal favourite aspect of the movie was the linguistic.

celedhring

Have you seen Apocalypto? The human sacrifice scene is absolutely striking. And I dug their attempt to replicate the languages of the Mayan people and their vassal tribes, too. The paints the Maya as psychotic blood-addled bunch of savages, which is probably an exaggeration and was widely condemned, but it's so fucking brilliantly done cinematically that I give it a pass. Now that you are going through an anti-PC phase you'd probably enjoy it :P

As I said before, I wish Gibson wasn't such an idiot and destroyed his career when he was starting to shine as a director. I don't think Hollywood will ever make a movie like Apocalypto again.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, and even without all the great historical backdrop, at its heart is a fantastic chase flick.

Brazen

The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe.

Caliga

All kidding aside, Jesus Christ Superstar is the best Jesus movie ever made. Plus Ted Neeley is reasonably hot.
One thing I can say for him... Jesus is cool.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2016, 12:33:45 PM

Jesus is just alright.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

:rolleyes:

A better follow-up post might have been "I don't know how to love him".
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2016, 12:33:45 PM

I dunno, I think he has some issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZR58d77a4A
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

celedhring