News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Good movies about Christ?

Started by Martinus, March 25, 2016, 03:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So, given the upcoming Easter, I thought about watching one or two movies about Christ - however, I am looking for good movies that stand on their own, not Sunday school style stuff. I have seen The Last Temptation of Christ and wouldn't mind seeing something in a similar vein (but then I might rewatch it if nothing else that is good is suggested) but generally I am open minded.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

The Passion of the Christ is not a particularly groundbreaking portrayal, but it is visually arresting (very bloody though). That film and Apocalypto make me wish that Gibson wasn't such an idiot so he could have made more movies.

The Last Temptation is clearly the best movie I have seen about JC, though.

The Gospel According to Saint Matthew by Pasolini too, if you fancy to see the story of Christ told by a gay Marxist.

EDIT: And there's always Life of Brian  :D

Eddie Teach

Ben-hur, a tale of the Christ. Won 8 Oscars.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on March 25, 2016, 04:23:59 AM

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 25, 2016, 04:23:59 AM
The Passion of the Christ is not a particularly groundbreaking portrayal, but it is visually arresting (very bloody though). That film and Apocalypto make me wish that Gibson wasn't such an idiot so he could have made more movies.

The Gospel According to Saint Matthew by Pasolini too, if you fancy to see the story of Christ told by a gay Marxist.

EDIT: And there's always Life of Brian  :D

What about Jesus Christ Superstar?  :P

Savonarola

King of Kings (1927), of course, see if you can spot Ayn Rand as an extra.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on March 25, 2016, 07:46:22 AM
What about Jesus Christ Superstar?  :P

Look for the Ron Jeremy cameo in that one.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Drakken

Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth, with Robert Powell as Christ, is the definite Easter movie. Used to pass every year around Easter when I was a kid.

PRC

The original Star Trek episode where they land on a planet where the Roman Empire has taken over and is televising gladiatorial matches.  The Empire is fighting against a rebellion of Sun worshipers but Kirk figures out that it's not the Sun up in the sky, but the Son... the Son of God.  Great episode!

The Larch

Quote from: Drakken on March 25, 2016, 09:54:37 AM
Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth, with Robert Powell as Christ, is the definite Easter movie. Used to pass every year around Easter when I was a kid.

Over here the traditional easter movies are Ben Hur and Quo Vadis.

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on March 25, 2016, 09:54:37 AM

This is worth a watch if you have never seen it before. It is a mini-series though not a movie.

QuoteOver here the traditional easter movies are Ben Hur and Quo Vadis.

Quo Vadis? That is about Nero throwing Christians to lions not Jesus :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2016, 12:01:31 PM
QuoteOver here the traditional easter movies are Ben Hur and Quo Vadis.

Quo Vadis? That is about Nero throwing Christians to lions not Jesus :P

Religious epic set in the Roman Empire, good enough.  :P The main characters are even married by St. Peter himself, come on!  :lol:

Drakken

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2016, 12:01:31 PM
This is worth a watch if you have never seen it before. It is a mini-series though not a movie.

But it has Peter Ustinov as King Herod the child-killer the Great, and Claudia Cardinale as the Adulteress. What's not to love? :wub: