St. Paul was the only human who lived in the first and second centuries AD

Started by Caliga, June 29, 2009, 06:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on June 29, 2009, 08:23:41 PM
How will that help?  Is Paul's DNA on file somewhere?
Boy that federal sex offender registry has *everything*.   :blink:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DontSayBanana

I think Sask is talking about whether the genetics point to an ethnic Greek, Roman, Turk, or Jewish corpse.
Experience bij!

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 29, 2009, 08:30:15 PMI think Sask is talking about whether the genetics point to an ethnic Greek, Roman, Turk, or Jewish corpse.
Can DNA point to a specific county of origin now?  Even if it could, how do we know ancient dudes that lived there have similar DNA to modern ones?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 29, 2009, 08:13:47 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 29, 2009, 06:32:48 PM
You forgot the part about the church tradition.  They already thought that the bones were Paul's, the testing merely confirmed that they were of the right age and strengthened their case.

It's like carbon-dating my grandmother's bones, finding out that she died in the twentieth century, and then you saying 'You think your grandmother was the only person who lived in the twentieth century'.

I thought the margin for error on Carbon-14 tests was about 200 years anyway. <_<
It varies.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on June 29, 2009, 08:33:38 PM
Can DNA point to a specific county of origin now?  Even if it could, how do we know ancient dudes that lived there have similar DNA to modern ones?
Recorded regional abnormalities, like the genetic "defect" that makes the Amish resistant to cardiac problems.
Experience bij!

Malthus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 29, 2009, 08:30:15 PMI think Sask is talking about whether the genetics point to an ethnic Greek, Roman, Turk, or Jewish corpse.

There are other techniques which can do that.

From an analysis of the enamel on teeth, one can trace approximate place of origin.

http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/projects/amesbury/tests/oxygen_isotope.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I thought you were all up on science.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2009, 06:31:36 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 29, 2009, 06:16:28 PM
The bone fragments were carbon dated to that time period and (I presume) shown to be human, so it seems to me like the Pope says that means the bones must belong to St. Paul.  What am I missing?  :huh:

Science hasn't been good to the church the last few centuries. It started with Galileo, then someone counted ribs and discovered that men don't have one less than women, then there was Darwin, and then there was the shroud of turin fiasco.

Let's let the pope have his moment--he is probably just giddy that science didn't disprove him for once.

't would have been funny if the bones were from a woman. :p

Martinus

They could always clone him and find out.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Martinus on June 30, 2009, 01:14:45 AM

He'd have no saul, as it proper for clones.

Josephus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 29, 2009, 08:30:15 PM

I think Sask is talking about whether the genetics point to an ethnic Greek, Roman, Turk, or Jewish corpse.

Yeah, but that wouldn't satisfy most of you anyways...since undoubtedly there were many men of Greek, Roman, Turk or Jewish ethnicity in the first and second century.

Unlike most of the other relics, I believe this one has possibility. Unlike many others, it wasn't brought in from the Holy Land 6 or 700 years later by zealous knights. I don't know the history of these bones, but tradition holds Paul was killed in Rome, so it is likely that his followers buried him somewhere nice.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 30, 2009, 01:14:45 AM

Supposedly Paul struggled with gayness so you could help us see if the clone is gay.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Josephus on June 30, 2009, 09:06:57 AM
Unlike most of the other relics, I believe this one has possibility. Unlike many others, it wasn't brought in from the Holy Land 6 or 700 years later by zealous knights. I don't know the history of these bones, but tradition holds Paul was killed in Rome, so it is likely that his followers buried him somewhere nice.
Oh, I agree that these *might* be the bones of St. Paul.  The Pope's apparent assertion that they *are* the bones is what I found amusing.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points