News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Merrick Garland nominated to USSC

Started by Barrister, March 16, 2016, 10:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/obama-to-announce-supreme-court-pick-at-11-am-220851

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrick_Garland

GOP needs to think to themselves how realistic is it that they're going to win the next election, and if they reject Garland then who is Hillary going to niminate in 2017?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

QuoteOn September 6, 1995, President Bill Clinton nominated Garland to the D.C. Circuit seat vacated by Abner J. Mikva.

Garland received a hearing before the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee on December 1, 1995.[14] However, his nomination languished under the Republican-controlled Senate until after the 1996 election.

:lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Capetan Mihali

A garland placed upon the seat of a mikvah.  Appropriate.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2016, 10:34:02 AM
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/obama-to-announce-supreme-court-pick-at-11-am-220851

GOP needs to think to themselves how realistic is it that they're going to win the next election, and if they reject Garland then who is Hillary going to niminate in 2017?

That is rational from one point of view.

From another point of view, GOP voters apparently have a large contingent that are incapable of strategic thinking and just want to obstruct Obama at every turn, and anyone doing otherwise is a RINO. So with elections coming up...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 16, 2016, 11:00:17 AM

I don't get it.

A mikvah is a ritual purifying pool right? So this choice has something to do with ideological purity? No that is not it. What does it mean to put a garland on the seat of a mikvah? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on March 16, 2016, 11:02:15 AM
From another point of view, GOP voters apparently have a large contingent that are incapable of strategic thinking and just want to obstruct Obama at every turn, and anyone doing otherwise is a RINO. So with elections coming up...

Yeah there is zero reason to go along with this choice.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2016, 10:34:02 AM

That is rational from one point of view.

It's the Senate.  Only one third are facing re-election.  Only a handful of GOP senators need to vote for Garland in order to be nominated.  I'm, however, unclear if the Senate leadership can completely prevent his nomination from ever even being considered or not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2016, 11:16:08 AM

Yeah there is zero reason to go along with this choice.

Do the republicans want to annoy the Jewish cabal?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Rumour mill claims there's a tacit agreement to confirm him during the actual lame duck session if the Democrats win the presidency.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2016, 11:14:13 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 16, 2016, 11:00:17 AM

I don't get it.

A mikvah is a ritual purifying pool right? So this choice has something to do with ideological purity? No that is not it. What does it mean to put a garland on the seat of a mikvah? :hmm:

Nothing profound, just a light-hearted joke (I am still capable of those...).  Yes, it's a purifying pool, generally with at least steps to sit on.  As something with religious significance, placing a garland on it might be vaguely appropriate.  Thus the sequence of surnames might be mildly amusing, end joke. :sleep:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 16, 2016, 11:38:08 AM
Nothing profound, just a light-hearted joke (I am still capable of those...).  Yes, it's a purifying pool, generally with at least steps to sit on.  As something with religious significance, placing a garland on it might be vaguely appropriate.  Thus the sequence of surnames might be mildly amusing, end joke. :sleep:

Ah I see the last name. Doh :blush:

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on March 16, 2016, 11:36:40 AM
Rumour mill claims there's a tacit agreement to confirm him during the actual lame duck session if the Democrats win the presidency.

That seems like a bullshit heads you win tails I lose scenario.

Obama nominates a moderate to try to get someone through in a political year, and the Republicans hold out to see if they win so that they can get a conservative, and if they fail they just take the moderate offered before?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on March 16, 2016, 11:36:40 AM

If Hillary wins, wouldn't she pressure Obama to withdraw him (unless she really wants him) so she can nominate her own choice (likely significantly more liberal)?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point