News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spring Forward!

Started by Admiral Yi, March 13, 2016, 05:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Still remember showing up one hour late to class in NYC because I had forgotten to change my computer's timezone settings, and had no idea DS was in effect.  <_<

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: celedhring on March 14, 2016, 05:03:41 PM
Still remember showing up one hour late to class in NYC because I had forgotten to change my computer's timezone settings, and had no idea DS was in effect.  <_<

Your fault for not starting off the semester that way and letting them think it was your Mediterranean attitude. :P
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Brazen

It's those awkward couple of weeks when I have to do an extra degree of mental arithmetic when I call the States until we catch up on Easter Sunday.

Norgy

Quote from: Brazen on March 15, 2016, 09:12:03 AM
It's those awkward couple of weeks when I have to do an extra degree of mental arithmetic when I call the States until we catch up on Easter Sunday.

I think that's when we get an hour less of sleep too.
I have no idea why Daylight Saving is still a thing.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Norgy on March 16, 2016, 04:44:36 AM
I have no idea why Daylight Saving is still a thing.

We should just decide that 1 p.m. is the time when the sun is directly overhead all year.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 16, 2016, 05:14:03 AM
We should just decide that 1 p.m. is the time when the sun is directly overhead all year.

I'm sure this was mostly a joke, but I"m not sure if you realize how hideously complicated this would be to manage.  It would really embrace the song "Does Anybody really know what time it is?"

First off, it would mean each longitudinal slice of the planet would have its own slightly different time for 1:00, for however finely you chose to slice it.  Travel ~15 miles east or west (for around US latitudes) and time would shift forward or back by a minute.

Second, you want to pin the time in the day to a specific position of the sun.  That means you'll be operating on the apparent solar time rather than mean solar time, which means the length of each day will vary by up to 16 minutes.  Either each day's hour would be different lengths, or each day would have slightly more or less number of fractional hours.

I won't even get into the problems caused by the day being less than 24 hours.

Now you could just group areas by hour where the sun is directly overhead and use the mean solar time to even out the length of each day, but then you'll be back to roughly the current system.

Eddie Teach

The current system during daylight savings time, as opposed to winter when the sun is overhead at noon. I'm not a morning person.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?