A threat and an offer for Iranian nuke programme

Started by Brazen, March 17, 2009, 02:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

QuoteBrown in new Iran nuclear warning

The prime minister is to warn Iran it faces a "clear choice" over its nuclear programme, with tougher sanctions for defying the international community.

Gordon Brown will tell a conference in London that Tehran, which continues to enrich uranium despite global pressure, is a "critical proliferation threat".

He will urge it to pursue a purely civil nuclear path with the promise of international support and engagement.

Iran says this is what it is doing and refuses to stop its development work.

The prime minister will argue that Iran will be a litmus test of how nuclear nations can work together with non-nuclear states to equip them with new sources of energy.

"Like it or not", Mr Brown will say, a massive expansion of nuclear power will be needed to meet carbon reduction targets.

Enriched uranium can be used in nuclear power plants, but can also be used to make atomic weapons.

The Iranian government continues to defy the international community, enriching enough uranium - according to a recent report by the International Atomic Energy Authority - to fill a warhead.

"Iran therefore faces a clear choice," Mr Brown will tell an audience of diplomats and scientists.

"Continue in this way and face further and tougher sanctions - or change to a UN-overseen civil nuclear programme that will bring the greatest benefits to its citizens."

The new US administration has offered to engage with Iran to reduce tension over the issue while insisting it will not tolerate it having a nuclear bomb and extending sanctions against Tehran.

Mr Brown will encourage Iran to accept President Obama's offer of negotiation and to heed calls from China, Russia and leading European powers to comply with UN nuclear resolutions.

"I urge Iran, once again, to work with us rather than against us on this," he will say.

"The opportunity to do so remains on the table. The choice is theirs to make."

Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who is facing elections this year, has shown little sign of wanting a "deal" to put the country's nuclear programme under international supervision in return for the lifting of sanctions and financial assistance.

The international community will face a significant challenge in ensuring the necessary expansion of civil nuclear power does not lead to weapons proliferation, Mr Brown will add.

According to International Atomic Energy Agency forecasts, more than 30 nuclear reactors will have to built every year if the world is to meet its target of halving carbon emissions by 2050.

"We have to create a new international system to help non-nuclear states acquire the new sources of energy they need," the prime minister will say.
Sounds like a carrot and stick but ends up being more like a way of calling Iran's bluff.

Warspite

I think Brown's words won't have much of an effect, it really depends who wins the coming election in Iran. I noticed Khatami withdrew his candidacy to try and present a more united 'reformist' front.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Neil

I think Brown's words won't have much of an effect, because nobody's really interested in what Brown has to say about anything.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

It's just a lump of uranium for crying out loud! Relax.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Tamas

Quote from: Neil on March 17, 2009, 07:49:48 AM
I think Brown's words won't have much of an effect, because nobody's really interested in what Brown has to say about anything.

I lollled because it is too true.