Main Menu

George Martin dead

Started by Solmyr, March 09, 2016, 06:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

[spoiler]Luckily, not the one you were thinking of:[/spoiler]

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35761464

Eddie Teach

I was like 75% sure it was something like this when I opened the thread.

RIP dude.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

I wonder if anyone really reads the name "George Martin" and thinks that it refers to George RR Martin.  After all, GRRM added his initials to his professional name to distinguish himself from the more famous (at the time) George Martin, and has unfailingly used the initials for professional purposes ever since.

I certainly didn't think of GRRM when I heard this news this morning.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

My first thought: "So stereo did win after all".  :P    :Embarrass:

RIP

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2016, 07:12:00 AM
I wonder if anyone really reads the name "George Martin" and thinks that it refers to George RR Martin.  After all, GRRM added his initials to his professional name to distinguish himself from the more famous (at the time) George Martin, and has unfailingly used the initials for professional purposes ever since.

I think that many more people heard of GRRM than of the guy who died, especially among the younger generations.

garbon

I did but thought it couldn't really be about him because RR was mentioned in name. I'm not sure I could provide many facts regarding the George Martin this thread is actually about. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on March 09, 2016, 08:45:10 AM

I think that many more people heard of GRRM than of the guy who died, especially among the younger generations.

Exactly my point.  And they have always known him as "George RR Martin," not "George Martin."  Their response to "George Martin dead" is like mine:  "Who is George Martin, and why do i care that he died?" not [spoiler]"OMG, George RR Martin is dead!"[/spoiler]
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2016, 08:49:13 AM
I did but thought it couldn't really be about him because RR was mentioned in name. I'm not sure I could provide many facts regarding the George Martin this thread is actually about. -_-

Same, I don't think I have ever heard (and if I did, I forgot) about the George Martin who died before this morning - the headlines of his death I saw this morning already mentioned that he is not THE George RR Martin of Game of Thrones fame, so that's probaly why I didn't think the Mountain that Writes died.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2016, 08:54:12 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 09, 2016, 08:45:10 AM

Exactly my point.  And they have always known him as "George RR Martin," not "George Martin."  Their response to "George Martin dead" is like mine:  "Who is George Martin, and why do i care that he died?" not [spoiler]"OMG, George RR Martin is dead!"[/spoiler]

Oh right, I see your point. Well, yeah true, but I guess there may be people who thought that because they have a loose idea who GRRM is too. :P

I wonder if anyone thought "Oh, it's that gay guy from Wham who died".

Eddie Teach

He lives la Vida loca no more.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Never imagined for a second it was GRRM. but I'm old
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

And yet Phil Spector still lives.  Doesn't seem fair.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PDH

RIP.  Perfect person at the perfect time to help with the magic.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Norgy

Jaron

WTF Phil Spector invented the wall of sound!
Winner of THE grumbler point.