News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

George Martin dead

Started by Solmyr, March 09, 2016, 06:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Age probably has played a role in those differing outcomes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Even though I saw this news elsewhere and didn't for a second think it meant the fat man, for some reason seeing this thread on languish made that disappear from my mind and my heart sink in my chest as I couldn't think of anyone else but GRRM.

A thought that has just come to me:
An awful lot of famous people seem to be dying lately.
Could this be the shape of things to come?
Consider: the age of the celebrity and omnipresent media only really began in the 60s. It just so happens that now we're getting to the time when people who were in their 20s and 30s in the 60s are at that age where the odds are against their continued existence.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

The older you get, the more of these you'll recognize.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Until you hit the point where you start to recognize no one. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

I recognize no earthly authority. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on March 10, 2016, 11:49:40 AM
Until you hit the point where you start to recognize no one. :(

Unlikely, unless you either have some sort of dementia or stop consuming media at a fairly young age.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

People that were famous in our childhoods/20s are getting near "drop dead ages", and those are more likely to have had an impact on us, and thus we recognize those deaths.

Josquius

I really don't think it's just that. I think there are more celebrities from later decades.  It's an exponential growth.
Before the 60s it was mostly just movie stars and the occasional musician.
But from then on you have popular music of various sorts and tv too.
We just live in a much more media focused celebrity obsessed world now than several decades ago

The more omnipresent news today will help too
██████
██████
██████

Liep

When the last baby boomer hero is dead all we're left with is Kanye West.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Jaron on March 10, 2016, 03:46:09 AM
WTF Phil Spector invented the wall of sound!

Indeed. :glare:  JM and Norgy are dead to me.  Or at least I'd smack them around a bit before letting them back in my good graces. :hug: :ronnie:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Norgy

Pity. I think only JM is into punishment. He is an American lawyer, well-read and educated.

Me, I'd just shiv you.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Norgy on March 11, 2016, 06:50:19 AM
Me, I'd just shiv you.

Shiv me, and you shiv one man.  You shiv one weak mortal man, prematurely soft in the mid-section, albeit in slightly better condition than Calif. Prisoner #1234567 Philip Spector, whom I'm sure more skilled shiv operators than you have already aimed for. 

But it's like Fidel's exploding cigar.  Shiv me, shiv Phil, shiv Khrushchev, enjoy a moment of glory. But shiv the Wall Of Sound, well, then you're really somebody, cause that's something.  That's something.