News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lula - Arrested

Started by Norgy, March 04, 2016, 07:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Sounds like a good place to host the Olympics. 

derspiess

I hear the water is nice.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Hopefully the experience of hosting the Olympics will give Brazilians the taste of what good clean governance looks like.

Norgy

Quote from: DGuller on March 17, 2016, 09:35:08 AM
Hopefully the experience of hosting the Olympics will give Brazilians the taste of what good clean governance looks like.

:lol:

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on March 17, 2016, 09:35:08 AM

They just had the World Cup and that didn't work, so time to up the game.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

"What can we learn from FIFA and the IOC? Hey, who ran off with my computer? I had a Powerpoint prepared and all!"

Monoriu

Wait a second.  Do I understand this correctly?  So the previous president was under investigation for corruption.  In order to avoid charges, the current president decides to appoint him to a cabinet post that will exempt him from prosecution? 

Eddie Teach

Seems odd that the President's chief of staff is a cabinet position in Brazil.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

A Lula quote of 1988 has turned into a meme in the Lusophone web.

That's the way Brazil is: when a poor steals, he goes to jail. If somedy rich steals, he's promoted to minister.

No Brazil é assim: quando um pobre rouba, vai para a cadeia, mas quando um rico rouba, vira ministro.

Norgy

I feel for the Brazilians. I really do.

derspiess

I think it's a "growing up" moment for them.  Also it's kind of a good sign that these two aren't just getting away with their shenanigans.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

Quote from: derspiess on March 18, 2016, 08:56:47 AM
I think it's a "growing up" moment for them.  Also it's kind of a good sign that these two aren't just getting away with their shenanigans.

For once, we agree upon something.  :Embarrass: :cry: :ph34r:

celedhring

Quote from: Monoriu on March 18, 2016, 05:16:05 AM
Wait a second.  Do I understand this correctly?  So the previous president was under investigation for corruption.  In order to avoid charges, the current president decides to appoint him to a cabinet post that will exempt him from prosecution?

It will make it harder to prosecute, not exempt. But yeah, it's so nakedly corrupt. I was speechless when I heard it.

Norgy

Well, they learnt from the FIFA World Cup, apparently.

Monoriu

Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2016, 09:50:46 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 18, 2016, 05:16:05 AM

It will make it harder to prosecute, not exempt. But yeah, it's so nakedly corrupt. I was speechless when I heard it.

I have no words.  I thought my understanding must be wrong, because nobody is going to do something like that.