News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lula - Arrested

Started by Norgy, March 04, 2016, 07:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/04/brazil-police-raid-home-former-president-lula-petrobas

QuoteBrazilian police are questioning the former president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva after raiding his home and several associated buildings in a search for evidence as part of an ongoing corruption investigation.

The detention of the influential Workers' party politician – who is best known by his nickname Lula – marks a dramatic new phase of the Lava Jato ("carwash") inquiry into bribery and kickback allegations involving leading Brazilian companies and dozens of congressmen.

Well, this looks bad for him.
But a non-corrupt Brazilian leader? More chance of unicorns flying.

derspiess

:nelson: to all you who believed in him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

Quote from: derspiess on March 04, 2016, 09:41:33 AM

I admit I liked Lula quite a bit. He was the "not Hugo Chavez" leftist of South America and did get some stuff done in Brazil.
Apparently, he also likes to have his pockets lined.

derspiess

It's Latin America.  People assume all politicians are corrupt so I guess why bother being any different?  Hell, I bet even that Mujica dude in Uruguay had some shenanigans during his term :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

True. It's not shocking or much of a surprise. Brazil is knee-deep in corruption. What's actually surprising, is that it's getting investigated.

derspiess

Quote from: Norgy on March 04, 2016, 10:06:27 AM
True. It's not shocking or much of a surprise. Brazil is knee-deep in corruption. What's actually surprising, is that it's getting investigated.

Often it's investigated when the other party gains power.  But in this case the whole house of cards is falling before that even happens.  Looks like Dilma's days are numbered.

Norgy

And probably deservedly so, from what I have gathered.

Valmy

I am much more shocked he was arrested for corruption than the fact he was corrupt. He must have really taken it to new heights to stand out like this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on March 04, 2016, 10:57:02 AM

I am much more shocked he was arrested for corruption than the fact he was corrupt. He must have really taken it to new heights to stand out like this.

He was probably standing on the shoulders of giant ants.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

The Brain

Seems unlikely, don't you think?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Giant ant migration is not my speciality, but if Mengele and Hitler could go to South America and live to a ripe old age, heck, why not.

derspiess

Grinning_Colossus

So much for that government. I'm really disappointed by all of this. Things in Brazil were going so well for a while. :(
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?