News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The rise of American authoritarianism

Started by jimmy olsen, March 02, 2016, 05:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2016, 09:22:22 AM

Deporting illegal immigrants, so far, no, it hasn't happenned, and he can not reclassify what is an immigrant without Congress, but given the support he has from the Tea Party, it could happen.

On this one, I think you're still missing the point that illegal immigrants are supposed to be deported. 

Valmy

Quote from: dps on March 07, 2016, 12:33:48 PM
On this one, I think you're still missing the point that illegal immigrants are supposed to be deported. 

Yep. The problem is there are so many of them it is impossible to give each one the due process they are entitled. So we have to come up with a new plan but for practical reasons.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

No wonder Ted Cruz moved to Texas.  Who would want to be associated with the CIAM types?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 07, 2016, 12:00:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2016, 11:32:30 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 07, 2016, 10:03:06 AM
Buy American is an ad campaign.

You should look at the Buy American Act which applies to all U.S. federal government agency purchases of goods over a certain value. Under the Act, all goods for public use must be produced in the U.S., and manufactured items must be manufactured in the U.S. from U.S. materials.  In addition a number of states included similar geographic production requirements in their procurement legislation.

That's not actually true.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buy_American_Act

QuoteThe Buy American Act ("BAA", originally 41 U.S.C. §§ 10a–10d, now 41 U.S.C. §§ 8301–8305) passed in 1933 by Congress and signed by President Hoover on his last full day in office (March 3, 1933),[1] required the United States government to prefer U.S.-made products in its purchases. Other pieces of Federal legislation extend similar requirements to third-party purchases that utilize Federal funds, such as highway and transit programs.

The Buy American Act is not to be confused with the very similarly named Buy America Act, which came into effect in 1983. The latter, a provision of the Surface Transportation Assistance Act of 1982, is 49 U.S.C., § 5323 (j), and applies only to mass-transit-related procurements valued over US$100,000 and funded at least in part by federal grants.[2]

In certain government procurements, the requirement purchase may be waived by the Contracting Officer or the Head of the Contracting Activity (HCA) if the domestic product is 50% or more expensive than an identical foreign-sourced product, if the product is not available domestically in sufficient quantity or quality, or if doing so is in the public interest.

The President has the authority to waive the Buy American Act within the terms of a reciprocal agreement or otherwise in response to the provision of reciprocal treatment to U.S. producers. Under the 1979 General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) Government Procurement Code, the U.S.-Israel Free Trade Agreement, the U.S.-Canada Free Trade Agreement, and the World Trade Organization (WTO) 1996 Agreement on Government Procurement (GPA), the United States provides access to the government procurement of certain U.S. agencies for goods from the other parties to those agreements. However, the Buy American Act was excluded from the GPA's coverage.

Raz, I am not sure you have understood that Wiki entry.  And I know Grumbler didn't.

If you want to know a bit more than a very cursory Wiki entry try this link

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=4416059&Mode=1&Parl=40&Ses=3&File=18&Language=E

and if that is too much of a wall of text.  Here is a more handy summary of both acts and the restrictions they put on trade.

http://www.international.gc.ca/sell2usgov-vendreaugouvusa/procurement-marches/buyamerica.aspx?lang=eng

derspiess

Deporting illegal immigrants, so far, no, it hasn't happenned, and he can not reclassify what is an immigrant without Congress, but given the support he has from the Tea Party, it could happen.

:o  That's mean!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

If we start to enforce laws like this, who knows where this will lead us!

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2016, 12:37:50 PM

Raz, I am not sure you have understood that Wiki entry.  And I know Grumbler didn't.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=4416059&Mode=1&Parl=40&Ses=3&File=18&Language=E

and if that is too much of a wall of text.  Here is a more handy summary of both acts and the restrictions they put on trade.

http://www.international.gc.ca/sell2usgov-vendreaugouvusa/procurement-marches/buyamerica.aspx?lang=eng

I see that it says there are notable exceptions, so not all goods over a certain price must be made in the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

I am not Canadian, so i don't use wikipedia as the source of my knowledge.  Nor do i use vague Canadian documents about some US law.  I go to the US source on the law at https://www.acquisition.gov/far/html/Subpart%2025_1.html and, to my not-shock, discover that the Buy American Act does not, after all, say that "all goods for public use must be produced in the U.S., and manufactured items must be manufactured in the U.S. from U.S. materials."  It says that the "Buy American...restricts the purchase of supplies, that are not domestic end products, for use within the United States. A foreign end product may be purchased if the contracting officer determines that the price of the lowest domestic offer is unreasonable...." and that the domestic price is only reasonable if it is the lowest price after "adding to the price of the low offer, inclusive of duty—
(1) 6 percent, if the lowest domestic offer is from a large business concern; or
(2) 12 percent, if the lowest domestic offer is from a small business concern."

So, no, the law doesn't require the purchase of US goods, it just gives US goods a price preference.

And Canada, of course, has domestic preference laws of its own, so it's not like Canadians are excused from understanding the US laws because this is a topic Canadians are too evolved to understand.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on March 07, 2016, 01:19:28 PM

I see that it says there are notable exceptions, so not all goods over a certain price must be made in the US.

Yes, there are exceptions.  Exceptions to the rule.

Remember, your claim was that Buy American was just an add campaign. ;)

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 07, 2016, 01:38:36 PM

I am not Canadian, so i don't use wikipedia as the source of my knowledge. 

You are going over that line from being funny to just pathetic.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2016, 01:40:29 PM

Him and Raz are the only two posters I ignore at the moment.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2016, 01:46:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2016, 01:40:29 PM

Him and Raz are the only two posters I ignore at the moment.

Raz has some interesting things to say from time to time.  But I think I will take your advice about Grumbles.  It has been a long time since it was worth reading his non game related posts.

viper37

yes, but if I decide all muslims are illegal immigrants, then they are deported too.
Non American citizens have no rights under the US Constitution, that has been established.  You can kill them, torture them, jail them indefinately, deny them entry into US territory even while transiting 45 000 ft above said territory.  People who are US residents but not yet citizens could be declared illegal.
Also, there could be a witch hunt, with many innocent people deported, for lack of ability to sucessfully defend themselves against an overarching immigration agency. Then, there comes the deportation of legitimate US citizens found guilty of helping/harboring illegal immigrants.  It's not like these people just come to the US and stay there on their own.
And there's a way to deal with that, with a judicial review, to examine this on a case by case basis.  Some people may be in real danger if they are forced back at home, and maybe illegal immigration was the only thing they had available to them.  I think they should be offered a chance to regularize their situation, when appropriate.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2016, 02:02:07 PM
Non American citizens have no rights under the US Constitution, that has been established. 

Established among whom? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.