News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Social Media and Free Speech?

Started by Martinus, March 01, 2016, 01:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So, as many people probably have heard Marc Zuckerberg announced a zero-tolerance-policy for anti-refugee/anti-immigrant hate speech on Facebook. This comes after several smaller controversies of Facebook, Twitter, Youtube etc. banning "offensive speech" and suspending accounts of "medium profile" people thought to engaged in such.

While the obvious response is that these are, obviously, all privately owned platforms, so their owners are free to set up any rules they like, do you see this having a potentially chilling effect on free speech in future? I mean, for many businesses, politicians and public figures, these social media are becoming more and more the main way to reach their base, and this will become more and more so in future. Would it be a concern then if all of them (there are not that many) decided to, for example, boycott a specific politician or a message, effectively distorting the democratic debate? Or, if this happened, would people simply move on to another, more free speech friendly platform?

Eddie Teach

Well, I don't use Zuckerberg's platform, though I know most westerners do. I don't think he should have as much power over people's communications as he does, but hey, we've given it to him.

I think if Facebook & Twitter & the rest were to make a habit of this, more alternative sites will crop up. Like Languish out of Paradox.  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

I have never seen so much ugliness as on Facebook the past year or so.
What rather normal people manage to write about refugees has been awful.

I don't think there's much chance of people moving to other platforms. Fb is pretty much THE platform these days, and will probably remain so. If we lose a couple of racists, who's going to care?

Martinus

Quote from: Norgy on March 01, 2016, 01:34:16 AM

I don't think there's much chance of people moving to other platforms. Fb is pretty much THE platform these days, and will probably remain so. If we lose a couple of racists, who's going to care?

That is not the question I asked or the point I made. Come on, Norgy, you are better than that.

Eddie Teach

First they came for the racists, etc etc

But I think you're right, people aren't going to leave in mass over this. However, if FB gets too restrictive in general, people who feel stifled will start drifting away.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

I think the idea is that governments should not impose restrictions on free speech.  A private platform should be able to do so.  If you don't agree with Facebook's rules, post elsewhere.  Facebook's owners should have the freedom to set reasonable rules, and I think the anti-hate speech rules qualify as reasonable.  I also think that, while Facebook is popular, it is entirely possible to live without it.  I personally have abandoned it years ago, and only really use it to look at some sites. 

Admiral Yi

Freedom of speech is not the right to be heard.

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on March 01, 2016, 01:39:59 AM

That is not the question I asked or the point I made. Come on, Norgy, you are better than that.

You misoverestimate my intelligence, mate.  :Embarrass:

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 01, 2016, 01:47:04 AM
Freedom of speech is not the right to be heard.

That's usually what I say when the issue comes up.
Back in the days of print media, you actually had to write a letter to the editor to be heard.
And there wasn't any guarantee it'd be printed. But you could write said letter and get stuff off your chest.

Martinus

Facebook and Twitter are not really comparable to newspapers - more like public squares and streets. What if all streets, squares and parks were privatised and the owner said some speech is not allowed there?

Grinning_Colossus

First they came for the Nazis, and I cheered them on because fuck Nazis. Then there was no one to come for me.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Martinus

I guess Berkut is right and hardly anyone believes in freedom of speech.

MadImmortalMan

This forum got started because a bunch of you guys wanted to say shit another forum didn't let you say.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on March 01, 2016, 03:03:03 AM
I guess Berkut is right and hardly anyone believes in freedom of speech.

You're a fabulously wealthy, successful lawyer, and still you manage to sound like a 7th grader some times.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 01, 2016, 02:26:05 AM
Facebook and Twitter are not really comparable to newspapers - more like public squares and streets. What if all streets, squares and parks were privatised and the owner said some speech is not allowed there?

I think you mean what if someone had a private estate and let everyone show up and do whatever they like before deciding to implement some order. The horror.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.