Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

The mad dogs of Brexit have been unleashed:

Over 60 MPs sign letter to Prime Minister in defence of full fat Brexit
A letter from the Europe Research Group to the Prime Minister has turned up in The Times. There is an air of menace about it not least exemplified by the 62 signatures on the bottom of it. It's 48 MPs that are required to trigger a vote of no confidence.

The letter went into No. 10 on Friday and today the PM met Jacob Rees-Mogg to chat about Brexit. The ERG Brexiteers feel they are getting a lot of assurances but aren't sure they can bank them.

The letter says that some lawyers suggest the government could actually sign trade agreements with third countries during the so-called "implementation period" after Brexit. The EU doesn't see it that way and there's no chance of them budging on that. The real game in play is the second bullet point which addresses what the Brexit Committee will be discussing at Chequers on Thursday.

Full item here, worth a read:
https://www.channel4.com/news/by/gary-gibbon/blogs/over-60-mps-sign-letter-to-prime-minister-in-defence-of-full-fat-brexit?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Moggs coup is on?
Just have to pray it would be enough to put the moderates in revolt, country before party.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

BTW isn't there just a few percentage tariffs on most stuff from America for example? Other than slashing standards on foods so the UK can be flooded with cheap American shit, what is there to really profit from a free trade deal?

Josquius

That is the point.

I really wonder how much computer games are to blame for the publics lack of understanding of trade deals. A lot of them seem to think it'd a simple case of a binary yes or no situation where both sides just agree to turn it on and instantly become richer hassle free
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on February 21, 2018, 03:49:55 AM
That is the point.

I really wonder how much computer games are to blame for the publics lack of understanding of trade deals. A lot of them seem to think it'd a simple case of a binary yes or no situation where both sides just agree to turn it on and instantly become richer hassle free

Much like people who think there is an industrial policy slider that you can use to increase industrial output and decrease finance.

garbon

I doubt most people play computer games that involve trade deals. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2018, 03:53:32 AM

Oh ye of little ignorance. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Obviously.
But I think enough people have played a strategy game or two to make up a decent percentage of the population.
And knowledge disseminates
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

What about V for Vendetta Brexit?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2018, 11:46:19 AM
Everyone is forgetting mad max 1.
The mad max world didn't go straight to men in bondage gear fighting over water.
The first film was rather closer to home, a civilized land wracked by austerity with a cop trying to do his job against budget cuts.

Not everyone. Mad Max is a pre-apocalyptic movie , while Mad Max 2 is a rare case of a superior sequel.
Mad Max 3 is best forgotten though, for the boring kid middle act.

PS: Children of Men is more of a big budget  version of an italian rip-off of a post-apocalyptic movie, say 2019 after the Fall of New York.  :P

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on February 21, 2018, 04:50:03 AM
Obviously.
But I think enough people have played a strategy game or two to make up a decent percentage of the population.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Yeah, my Civ trade deals make up a significant amount of my pub chats.  :hmm:

Gups

Quote from: celedhring on February 21, 2018, 05:35:40 AM
Yeah, my Civ trade deals make up a significant amount of my pub chats.  :hmm:

On the football terraces and in the hairdressing salons of Britain, they talk of very little else.

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on February 21, 2018, 05:00:50 AM
What about V for Vendetta Brexit?

Well that has been the plan for quite a while now. That's why it's a surprise that Mad Max was also brought up

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2018, 05:28:43 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 21, 2018, 04:50:03 AM
Obviously.

:lol:

What's funny?
The Civ series has sold 33 million copies. Not unreasonable to assume a million  in the UK no?
██████
██████
██████