Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Scientists shockingly unearth the secret that bears shit in woods.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/twitter-account-suspected-of-being-part-of-russian-disinformation-campaign/news-story/ad128e22fd4c3bf6c38d18526d68de42

TLDR : brexit is a subversion of democracy. Leavers are dancing to the kremlins tune.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Turns out that the Home Office made an error............again!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/30/home-office-apologises-for-wrongly-telling-british-man-shane-ridge-leave-uk

The blithering incompetence seems to be getting worse; I wonder what has happened to civil service recruitment?

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on August 30, 2017, 07:25:17 AM
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/twitter-account-suspected-of-being-part-of-russian-disinformation-campaign/news-story/ad128e22fd4c3bf6c38d18526d68de42

TLDR : brexit is a subversion of democracy. Leavers are dancing to the kremlins tune.

So every election that doesn't go the way the left wants = OMG TEH RUSSIANS DID IT
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 30, 2017, 10:59:48 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/30/home-office-apologises-for-wrongly-telling-british-man-shane-ridge-leave-uk

The blithering incompetence seems to be getting worse; I wonder what has happened to civil service recruitment?

It does start to worry me a bit. I was ok with listening to the government's earlier plans, and thus ignore getting a permanent residence status, sitting tight instead until they issue me my Untermensch Identity Card. But now I am starting to think me and the girlfriend should go for certain and get the residence status paperwork done regardless.

HOWEVER, it seems like some of the confusion thing, like the 100 letters notifying EU citizens to GTFO of the country or else, were sent to people who applied for said residence status previously. So maybe I have LESS chance of being accidentally deported if I wait?

The mind boggles regardless. This country is totally unprepared for the administrative shitstorm of Brexit and if they are doing anything to prepare for it, it is well behind the scenes, that's for sure.

Agelastus

[Sneering permanent secretary] "Well, they do let in people with 2:2's now..."[Sneering permanent secretary.]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

celedhring

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2017, 11:05:54 AM

So every election that doesn't go the way the left wants = OMG TEH RUSSIANS DID IT

Why do you believe the Brexit vote broke along left/right lines? Nothing further from the truth.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on August 30, 2017, 11:30:35 AM

Why do you believe the Brexit vote broke along left/right lines? Nothing further from the truth.

He's just internalized that stupid decisions are typically undertaken by the right. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

So Brexiteers were evenly split left/right then?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Richard Hakluyt

Much more of and old/young, educated/uneducated, yokel/metropolitan thing than right/left. Though the right does seem eager to monopolise the glory/ordure that will result from the decision.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tamas on August 30, 2017, 11:10:44 AM

It does start to worry me a bit. I was ok with listening to the government's earlier plans, and thus ignore getting a permanent residence status, sitting tight instead until they issue me my Untermensch Identity Card. But now I am starting to think me and the girlfriend should go for certain and get the residence status paperwork done regardless.

HOWEVER, it seems like some of the confusion thing, like the 100 letters notifying EU citizens to GTFO of the country or else, were sent to people who applied for said residence status previously. So maybe I have LESS chance of being accidentally deported if I wait?

The mind boggles regardless. This country is totally unprepared for the administrative shitstorm of Brexit and if they are doing anything to prepare for it, it is well behind the scenes, that's for sure.

The complete lack of preparedness is very worrying. With my  :tinfoil: I sometimes wonder if they are deliberately sabotaging the process in order to call the whole thing off. For example, huge truck parks and customs infrastructure should be being constructed at British ports right now.............unless, of course, we are not really going to leave.

re your situation : if you ever get into a pickle then publicity is your friend. I'd start with the local MP and newspaper. At the moment there is no suggestion that people resident before the referendum would be required to leave. Keep maximum evidence though, just in case.

celedhring

Quote from: derspiess on August 30, 2017, 11:34:37 AM

So Brexiteers were evenly split left/right then?

42% of Tories voted Remain, for example. If you want to lump them with TEH LEFT, well I guess the right is a fairly exclusive group in derspiess land.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

Jacob

You do not think Putin funds political groups in the West to undermine our political processes?

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on August 30, 2017, 11:58:26 AM
42% of Tories voted Remain, for example. If you want to lump them with TEH LEFT, well I guess the right is a fairly exclusive group in derspiess land.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

Well, don't forget Trump called himself "Mr. Brexit" and it's only natural that Spicy would think that the US right maps to the UK right on a one to one basis. So if Trump is pro Brexit, then clearly it's the right wing position.

derspiess

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 30, 2017, 11:37:54 AM
Much more of and old/young, educated/uneducated, yokel/metropolitan thing than right/left. Though the right does seem eager to monopolise the glory/ordure that will result from the decision.

It seems that most of the whining negative reaction from the referendum is coming from the left.  So forgive my ignorance if that skewed my perception.

So there really wasn't any differentiation between left/right for leave/remain voters? 

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2017, 05:58:43 PM
Quote from: dps on August 29, 2017, 05:18:23 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 29, 2017, 04:15:13 PM
Yeah, the UK's a bit naff like that. My father's British - English in fact - but I do not qualify for UK citizenship since my parents weren't married.

Pretty shitty that they'd apply it to someone who's lived his whole life in England though.

I assume that the British government is saying that he's a citizen of Australia?  Does Australia agree?  I would assume that they do if they gave him a passport.  I don't understand, though, if his mother has dual Australian/British citizenship, his father is a British citizen, and he was born in the UK, how he can be an Australian citizen but not a UK citizen.

I also wasn't aware that you had to be a UK citizen to have a bank account there.

I bet his mother wasn't a citizen when he was born and got it later.

And no, you don't have to be a citizen. I have a UK bank account.

she was born during a holiday, which could lead one to assume her parents both have UK citizenship. Which should make her a UK citizen.