Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Duque de Bragança

Precisely

Quote from: Tamas on July 07, 2017, 06:20:19 AM

Its about destroying teh environment,

Left-wing nowadays, but originally right (Blut und Boden).

and causing discomfort to people with properties in the way of the future line.

Right-wing

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 07, 2017, 06:08:19 AM
NIMBY can unite both the left and right, at least in these parts, cf. Basque Country modernized mixed line to link Iberia with the rest of Europe, or even the new high-speed line SW Bordeaux-Toulouse line.
I don't see why it should not be the case in the UK, which has a higher population density and smaller in area, so better than France for high-speed rail.

Its about destroying teh environment, and causing discomfort to people with properties in the way of the future line.

Progressive environmentalists are all for it. Trains are good, sure a few bushes along the route get destroyed which sucks but taking all those people away from their cars and into trains is a big saving for the planet.

You also often see this kind of stupid conservative environmentalism with opposition to wind turbines (Muh precious views!). Switzerland recently had a referendum on them where the opposition tried this approach (thankfully I think they failed).
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I remember seeing on the BBC a "local community" being distressed over their flats being on the train's route and facing relocation, or something.

BTW, is it just me or the British usage of "local community" always carries a heavy load of condescension? I never hear posh suburbs called "local communities" only always when a bunch of poor people get upset over something.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on July 07, 2017, 07:52:59 AM
I remember seeing on the BBC a "local community" being distressed over their flats being on the train's route and facing relocation, or something.

BTW, is it just me or the British usage of "local community" always carries a heavy load of condescension? I never hear posh suburbs called "local communities" only always when a bunch of poor people get upset over something.

No it's just you and your funny optics.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 07, 2017, 06:45:10 AM
Precisely

Right-wing

Actually can't latter be left wing? Forcing poor people to vacate their family homes because that's where the train needs to run?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on July 07, 2017, 08:58:17 AM
Precisely

Right-wing

Actually can't latter be left wing? Forcing poor people to vacate their family homes because that's where the train needs to run?

yeah that was the line in that BBC report from many months ago. The injustice of the local community possible destroyed by the railroad track.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on July 07, 2017, 08:25:55 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 07, 2017, 07:52:59 AM

No it's just you and your funny optics.

Hey, I am a newcomer, it was an honest question. On TV when they mention "the local community" is exclusively when they cover the injustice that befallen some poor people. Be it gentrification, building fire, or a black kid knifed.

I haven't heard "the local community" when they covered some first world problems in some middle-class neighbourhood.

Duque de Bragança

Precisely

Right-wing

Forcing poor people to vacate their family home is more than discomfort.

garbon

Just the extreme end.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 07, 2017, 09:24:44 AM
Precisely

Right-wing

Yes it sucks but desperately needed infrastructure projects must come with societal compromises.

Nobody is shedding a tear for poor people who will soon have their diesel cars outlawed, for example.

The Brain

In Sweden poor people are often just renting so don't need to give up their houses.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on July 07, 2017, 03:44:40 PM
In Sweden poor people are often just renting so don't need to give up their houses.

But see, forcing them to rent elsewhere breaks up the "local community" which is evil.

Zanza

Trump promised a "very big" trade deal "very quickly" after Brexit, so all is good. :)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tamas on July 07, 2017, 03:21:03 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 07, 2017, 09:24:44 AM
Precisely

Right-wing

Yes it sucks but desperately needed infrastructure projects must come with societal compromises.

Nobody is shedding a tear for poor people who will soon have their diesel cars outlawed, for example.

At least it wasn't a hyperspace bypass.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on July 08, 2017, 07:41:21 AM
Trump promised a "very big" trade deal "very quickly" after Brexit, so all is good. :)

Don't try to belittle his promise! He said "very, very quickly"!